Calculating work done using vectors

In summary, when calculating work done by a constant force, the equation is given by W = F · d, where F is the force vector and d is the displacement vector. This is because the force perpendicular to the displacement does not contribute to the work done. This can also be understood by considering the component of the path that is perpendicular to the force, which requires no work. Therefore, only the component of the path that is in the direction of the force contributes to the overall work.
ClassicRock

Homework Statement

A single constant force F = (2.84i + 4.60j) N acts on a 4.12 kg particle. Calculate the work done by this force if the particle moves from the origin to the point having the vector position r = (1.52i - 2.55j) m.

Homework Equations

W=FD

The Attempt at a Solution

W=(2.84*1.52)+(4.60*-2.55)
W=-7.41 J

This is the correct answer. I want to know why I can't use the pythagorean identity in order to find Force and Distance. Why can't I do that instead of the what I have shown here (could someone help me out with the name?).

Thanks,
ClassicRock

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation should be ##W=\vec{F}\cdot\vec{d}## ... which is a definition.
Notice that it is a vector dot-product, not a multiplication.
The force perpendicular to the displacement does not contribute to the work.

Consider - if you push a trunk along the floor by pressing at an angle downwards, some of your force goes into the ground doesn't it? Not all you effort moves anything.

But you may find it more intuitive to think another way - the component of the path perpendicular to the force requires no work.

It is fairly easy to walk around the contour of a hill - keeping the same height all the time.
It is only when you move up or down the hill that you have to work at it.
So only the component of your path that goes up or down the hill contributes to the overall work.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate work done using vectors?

To calculate work done using vectors, you need to multiply the magnitude of the force vector by the displacement vector in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F·d·cosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

2. Can you give an example of calculating work done using vectors?

For example, if a person pushes a box with a force of 50 N at an angle of 30 degrees, and the box is displaced by 5 meters in the direction of the force, the work done would be W = (50 N)(5 m)cos(30°) = 250 J.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done using vectors?

The unit of measurement for work done using vectors is joules (J). This is the same unit used for measuring energy.

4. How does the angle between the force and displacement vectors affect the work done?

The angle between the force and displacement vectors affects the work done by determining the amount of force that is applied in the direction of the displacement. If the force and displacement vectors are parallel (θ = 0°), then all of the force is applied in the direction of the displacement and the work done is maximized. If the force and displacement vectors are perpendicular (θ = 90°), then no work is done because the force is not applied in the direction of the displacement.

5. Can work done using vectors be negative?

Yes, work done using vectors can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions (θ = 180°) and the work done is in the opposite direction of the displacement. Negative work can also occur when the force and displacement vectors are at an angle between 90° and 180°, resulting in a negative component of force in the direction of displacement.