Calculation of angles in normal anatomical curved bones that are fractured.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
thormunch
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I am an orthopedic surgeon. Many of our long bones are anatomically curved. When they fracture they sometimes heal in a none perfect/anatomic position.

How do one calculate the angle/curve or changed angle/curve of a fractured bone healed or fixed none anatomically

Please see my drawn illutration
 
Attachments
Mathematics news on Phys.org
thormunch said:
Hi,
I am an orthopedic surgeon. Many of our long bones are anatomically curved. When they fracture they sometimes heal in a none perfect/anatomic position.

How do one calculate the angle/curve or changed angle/curve of a fractured bone healed or fixed none anatomically

Please see my drawn illutration

Hi thormunch! Welcome to MHB!

The angle a bone makes is determined by 2 lines that identify the direction of the bone at either end.
If you find these lines for the bone with and without fracture, you can find the change in angle.

So I assume your challenge is how to find such lines?