1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Limit Proof

Tags:
  1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am posting this for another student who I noticed did not have the proof in the problem. Here is what she said. Lets try and help her out.

I have been working on the problem below and I am stuck. I am stuck primarily because of the part where is says x=0. If x-0, it should cancel everything out. The derivative of 0 is 0 so will cancel everything out I think, so I am not sure if that is the reasoning and the proof behind it.

cap-2-png.102533.png

2. Relevant equations
    She had no relevant equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    She said:

I thought I should start this way, but I am not 100% sure.
    upload_2016-6-26_20-51-50-png.102534.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The meaning of "[itex]f(x)[/itex] is differentiable at [itex]x=0[/itex]" is that near [itex]x=0[/itex], we can write:

[itex]\dfrac{f(x) - f(0)}{x} = f'(0) + \epsilon(x)[/itex]

where [itex]\epsilon(x)[/itex] is a correction term that goes to zero as [itex]x \rightarrow 0[/itex]. So we can rewrite [itex]f(x)[/itex] as:

[itex]f(x) = f(0) + x (f'(0) + \epsilon(x))[/itex]

So try using that expression to rewrite [itex]f(ax)[/itex] and [itex]f(bx)[/itex].

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook