Help Solve Calculus Limit Proof Homework Statement

In summary, a student was seeking help with a proof involving differentiability at x=0. They were unsure of how to approach the problem and provided some thoughts and equations, but did not have a complete solution. This thread is a duplicate of another one on the same topic and has been closed.
JasMath33

Homework Statement

I am posting this for another student who I noticed did not have the proof in the problem. Here is what she said. Let's try and help her out.

I have been working on the problem below and I am stuck. I am stuck primarily because of the part where is says x=0. If x-0, it should cancel everything out. The derivative of 0 is 0 so will cancel everything out I think, so I am not sure if that is the reasoning and the proof behind it.

cap-2-png.102533.png

Homework Equations

She had no relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

She said:

I thought I should start this way, but I am not 100% sure.
upload_2016-6-26_20-51-50-png.102534.png

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The meaning of "[itex]f(x)[/itex] is differentiable at [itex]x=0[/itex]" is that near [itex]x=0[/itex], we can write:

[itex]\dfrac{f(x) - f(0)}{x} = f'(0) + \epsilon(x)[/itex]

where [itex]\epsilon(x)[/itex] is a correction term that goes to zero as [itex]x \rightarrow 0[/itex]. So we can rewrite [itex]f(x)[/itex] as:

[itex]f(x) = f(0) + x (f'(0) + \epsilon(x))[/itex]

So try using that expression to rewrite [itex]f(ax)[/itex] and [itex]f(bx)[/itex].

1. What is a calculus limit proof?

A calculus limit proof is a mathematical process used to determine the value of a limit in calculus. It involves using algebraic manipulations, theorems, and definitions to show that a limit exists and to find its numerical value.

2. How do I solve a calculus limit proof?

To solve a calculus limit proof, you need to follow a step-by-step process. First, identify the type of limit (e.g. infinite, left or right, trigonometric). Then, use algebraic manipulations to simplify the expression and apply any relevant theorems. Finally, take the limit of the simplified expression to find the numerical value.

3. What are some common theorems used in calculus limit proofs?

Some common theorems used in calculus limit proofs include the Squeeze Theorem, the Intermediate Value Theorem, and L'Hopital's Rule. These theorems help to simplify the expression and find the limit value more easily.

4. Are there any tips for solving calculus limit proofs?

Yes, there are a few tips that can make solving calculus limit proofs easier. First, make sure to factor the expression and look for opportunities to simplify using algebraic manipulations. Also, pay attention to the type of limit and use the appropriate theorem. Lastly, always check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can calculus limit proofs be solved using a calculator?

No, calculus limit proofs cannot be solved using a calculator. These proofs require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and cannot be solved through numerical calculations alone. A calculator may be used to check your work or to assist with algebraic manipulations, but it cannot solve the limit proof for you.