Calculus problem find the equation of the line given two points

In summary, we discussed the curve f(x) = 1/x and two points on it, Pa and Qa, with coordinates (a, 1/a) and (a+1, 1/a+1) respectively. We found the equation for the line connecting these points, La, and a formula for the area between f(x) and La, denoted as A(a). We then determined the limits of A(a) as a approaches infinity and 0, which were found to be 0 and infinity, respectively. We also considered a variation of the problem where the x-coordinate of Qa was a^2 instead of a.
O'Fearraigh
Consider the curve f(x) = 1/x
Consider two points on f(x): Pa and Qa, where the x-coordinate of Pa is a, and the x-coordinate of Qa is a+1.
Let La be the line connecting Pa and Qa

1.) Find the equation for La
2.) Find a formula that expresses A(a) = the area between f(x) and La
3.) Determine lim(a-->∞) A(a) and lim(a-->0) A(a)
4.) Does A(a) have an extremum for 0 < a? If yes, determine if it's a minimum or maximu (or neither?), and what value of A(a) is at the extremum.

Extra: Redo the problem, where the x-coordinate of Qa is a^2Okay, so I know that the coordinate of Pa is (a, 1/a) and I know that the coordinate of Qa is (a+1, 1/a+1). So, you have the equation for the line y=mx+b. So, the slope would be [(1/a+1)-(1/a)] / [(a+1)-(a)], which would simplify down to m = -(1) / (a^2+a). Correct? How do I go on from here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember back to your Pre-Calc days... you have the slope and a point on the line. Is there a formula that can combine the two to get the equation of a line?

Right, well I know the equation y-y1=m(x-x1).
So, I would have: y-(1/a)=(-1 / a^2+a)*(x-a) ---> y=(-x / a^2+a)+(a / a^2+a)+(1/a).
Right? Or... y=(-x / a^2+a)+(2a+1 / a(a+1))
Which would imply that:
y = (2a+1-x)/(a^2+a)
Right?

Just be careful with your equations when posting online. Try to remember to use brackets. I know that you intended for your final equation to look like

[itex]y = \displaystyle\frac{-x}{a^{2}+a} + \frac{2a+1}{a^{2}+a}[/itex]

And I just saw you updated your post, your final answer is fine (the brackets are good) but it would be better to split up the x term and the constant term (it'll be easier to integrate that way). The equation you had before was good, just be careful about parentheses.

Okay...
So, when setting up this area equation... would it simply be the the integral of -(x / a^2+a)+(2a+1 / a^2+a) dx - integral of 1/x dx [from x=a to x=a+1]?

Okay, doing that, I get that the function for the area between La and f(x) is:

A(a) = (2a+1 / 2a^2+2a) - ln(a+1) - ln(a)

Is this correct?

Last edited:
That is how you set it up, I don't think your final answer is correct though, let me check...

I think you might have forgotten to distribute a negative sign when taking the integral, the natural logs aren't right. Try again and see what you come up with.

Last edited:
O'Fearraigh said:
Okay...
So, when setting up this area equation... would it simply be the the integral of -(x / a^2+a)+(2a+1 / a^2+a) dx - integral of 1/x dx [from x=a to x=a+1]?

Okay, doing that, I get that the function for the area between La and f(x) is:

A(a) = (2a+1 / 2a^2+2a) - ln(a+1) - ln(a)

Is this correct?

Use brackets! Is A(a) = (2a+1)/(2a^2+2a) - ln(a+1)-ln(a), or is it what you actually *wrote*, which would be [tex] A(a) = 2a + \frac{1}{2a^2} + 2a - \ln(a+1) - \ln(a)[/itex]?

RGV

Yes, A(a) = (2a+1)/(2a^2+2a) - ln(a+1) - ln(a)

or is it

A(a) = (2a+1)/(2a^2+2a) - ln(a+1) + ln(a) ?

The second answer is what I got, and you can simplify that further if you like (properties of logs).

You still seem unsure about the sign of the last logarithm. How come?

I don't know... I just copied that from my first try.
Anyway, would the reduced equation be:
A(a) = (2a+1)/(2a^2+2a) + ln[(a)/(a+1)] ?

Yes, that's the right answer, but if you are unsure, you should go back and redo your work so you know why that is the right answer; i.e. convince yourself it is the right answer.

No, I see what I did originally: I didn't carry the minus sign over.
Okay, so now that we have a function for A(a), how do the limits work?

We have:

(a) lim[a→∞]
(b) lim[a→0]

I got

lim[a→∞] = 0
lim[a→0] = ∞

Is that correct?

1. How do I find the equation of a line given two points?

To find the equation of a line given two points, you can use the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) or the point-slope form (y - y1 = m(x - x1)), where m is the slope and (x1, y1) is one of the given points. First, calculate the slope using the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), then plug in the slope and one of the points into either form to find the equation.

2. What is the significance of the slope in the equation of a line?

The slope represents the rate of change or the steepness of the line. A positive slope indicates an upward trend, while a negative slope represents a downward trend. A slope of zero indicates a horizontal line, and a undefined slope indicates a vertical line.

3. Can you use any two points on a line to find the equation?

Yes, you can use any two points on a line to find the equation. However, it is important to make sure the two points are distinct and not the same point.

4. Can you find the equation of a line if only one point is given?

No, you need at least two points to find the equation of a line. With only one point, there are infinite possible lines that can pass through that point.

5. Is there a difference between the slope-intercept and point-slope forms of the line equation?

Yes, there is a difference in the way the equations are written. The slope-intercept form is written as y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. The point-slope form is written as y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is a point on the line and m is the slope. However, both forms can be used to find the equation of a line given two points.