1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus: Verify Thick Walled Cylinder Equations

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a system of two ordinary differential equations as shown below. I have to prove that the Lame's exact solutions for a thick walled cylinder loaded by internal pressure satisfies the equations.

The next step is to integrate the equations to obtain an equation for U and radial stress

upload_2016-11-8_17-15-31.png
    2. Relevant equations
    How should i go about the solution of this problem

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to find solutions for this but get stuck after the substitution of all given info

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2016 #2
    I have tried to substitute the equations but for the hoop stress I obtain the relationship between b and r as one.
    If anyone has any suggestions, I will be very thankful to you.
    I have tried solving the differential equations however, i get to a point where I get d2u/dr2 + i/r du/dr + u/r=0 and get stuck with integration constants

4. Nov 11, 2016 #3
    This is really a math problem. I'm going to move it to the math homework forum. Please show us your work in doing the substitutions.

5. Nov 14, 2016 #4
    So Ive done this,

now im confused about the integration. its a double integral but the boundary conditions are for r and sigma r

upload_2016-11-15_1-0-33.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted