Thick walled cylinder: find required thickness

In summary, to find the thickness that will not lead to failure, you need to find σr = [(pi ri^2 - po ro^2) / (ro^2 - ri^2)] + [ri^2 ro^2 (po - pi) / r^2 (ro^2 - ri^2)]. If you let ro = ri+t, you will still have the r term in the equation, but it will be smaller than the other two terms. You can then solve for t and find the thickness that will not lead to failure.
mylovelyamber
1. given that the yield stress σy of the material is 475 Mpa, internal radius ri is 24.47mm, internal pressure pi is 6.07 Mpa, external pressure po is atmospheric, find the thickness required of the cylinder such that it does not undergo failure. (ro≥ r ≥ri)2. σr = [(pi ri^2 - po ro^2) / (ro^2 - ri^2)] + [ri^2 ro^2 (po - pi) / r^2 (ro^2 - ri^2)]
3. I set σr=σy/1.5 and Po as 101.325 kPa
i also set r=ro
i sub the values into the calculation but the value of ro that i get is the same as ri, which is not possible.

can someone please enlighten me what i should set as r?

Physics news on Phys.org
These Lame's formulas are a function of r. Since you are given ri, assume a wall thickness t. Then ro = ri + t. And then check the stress at ri, ro, and a few points in between.

You will have to iterate to find the thickness so your stress is within limits.

hi,

thank you for the reply, but i still can't get rid of the r term...
if i let ro=ri+t,
there is still that r term that i can't get rid of...
σr = [(pi ri^2 - po ro^2) / (ro^2 - ri^2)] + [ri^2 ro^2 (po - pi) / r^2 (ro^2 - ri^2)]

mylovelyamber said:
hi,

thank you for the reply, but i still can't get rid of the r term...
if i let ro=ri+t,
there is still that r term that i can't get rid of...
σr = [(pi ri^2 - po ro^2) / (ro^2 - ri^2)] + [ri^2 ro^2 (po - pi) / r^2 (ro^2 - ri^2)]
Let me try to clarify.

You are given ri = 24.47 mm. So suppose the wall thickness is t = 3 mm. So, ro = ri + t = 24.47 mm + 3 mm = 27.47 mm.

Now for the r in the formula, plug in these values one at a time and write down the stress for each one:

(1) r = ri
(2) r = ri + 0.2 t
(3) r = ri + 0.4 t
(4) r = ri + 0.6 t
(5) r = ri + 0.8 t
(6) r = ro

Then see which stress is the largest and if it is under your allowable stress limit.

I would suggest that you double check your calculations and equations to ensure they are correct. It is important to use the appropriate units for each variable and to make sure all the values are plugged in correctly. Once you have confirmed that your equations are correct, you can then proceed to solve for the required thickness, which should be the difference between the outer and inner radii of the cylinder (ro-ri). If you are still getting a value of ro that is the same as ri, it could be an indication that the cylinder does not need to be any thicker in order to withstand the given internal and external pressures without failure. However, it is always important to double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy.

What is a thick walled cylinder?

A thick walled cylinder is a type of cylinder that has a relatively large ratio of wall thickness to inner diameter. It is commonly used in engineering and manufacturing applications due to its strength and durability.

What is the formula for finding the required thickness of a thick walled cylinder?

The formula for finding the required thickness of a thick walled cylinder is t = PD/2S, where t is the thickness, P is the internal pressure, D is the inner diameter, and S is the allowable stress of the material.

What is the purpose of finding the required thickness of a thick walled cylinder?

The purpose of finding the required thickness of a thick walled cylinder is to ensure that the cylinder can withstand the internal pressure without failing or deforming. This helps to prevent accidents and maintain structural integrity.

What factors affect the required thickness of a thick walled cylinder?

The required thickness of a thick walled cylinder is affected by the internal pressure, inner diameter, and the material properties such as yield strength and modulus of elasticity. Other factors such as temperature, corrosion, and external loads may also impact the required thickness.

How do you determine the allowable stress of a material for a thick walled cylinder?

The allowable stress of a material for a thick walled cylinder can be determined by consulting material specifications or testing the material under different conditions. It is important to consider factors such as yield strength, ultimate strength, and ductility when determining the allowable stress.