Can a CS Major and Astronomy Minor Lead to a Career in Space Exploration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
NickPhysics
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
One day I aspire to work in the space exploration(or something similar) field using Computer Science skills, and my knowledge in Astronomy. Is this realistic? Or would a minor in Physics be better for trying to achieve the same goal?

I plan to attend the University of Utah if the makes a difference.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey NickPhysics.

Given your interest in computer science, if I were to give advice I would say to look at embedded systems and possibly consider looking at electrical engineering with a significant programming component since the systems used out in space (for whatever purpose) will be ones that need extremely high fault tolerance specifications at both a hardware and a software level.

You will also want to look at the issues with security clearance and contracting particularly in the defence sector (in addition to the civilian one).