Can a Downgraded Video Driver Solve the Blue Screen of Death Error?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
00nameless00
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I started playing the game Spore today, but the game keeps crashing with the blue screen, something about ialmdev5.DLL error. Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Tried that, every link leads to a different solution, some of them are outdated, not sure which one to use.
 
Try updating your video card graphic drivers. Also apply all the latest OS updates and any updates for the game. See respective vendors for updates.
 
Is it the actual Blue Screen of Death or is it just an error message? I got the BSoD and needed to reinstall XP when I had it on my old computer.
 
Use the windows debugger to read the output of the crash. (a quick google search will tell you how to do this). This will help you determine exactly what caused the crash (faulty driver, application...)
For example, I was getting the BSOD on my thinkpad and using the debugger I found that the "rescue and recovery" program that came with the computer was outdated. Installing the latest version solved the problem.
 
Upgrading my video driver did not help. Here is what I did to solve my ialmdev5 error:
I uninstalled my current drivers, then searched google for a downgraded driver 6.14.10.4410 dated 10/14/2005. When I installed this my error quit coming up. Intel chipset 915GM/GMS 910GML. Hope this helps someone.