Can a Dual Machine Setup Improve Efficiency in PV Energy Conversion?

• Thread starter alevis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses a prototype that uses solar energy to convert potential energy into electrical energy. The system includes a weight attached to a chain, which is driven up by motors during the day and then falls down to generate electricity. However, there are concerns about maximizing efficiency and calculating energy output. The main issue seems to be finding a balance between using the motors as a motor and as a generator.
alevis
I'm working on a protoype that uses energy from the sun (PV cells) to convert potential energy into electrical energy .
This is the basic structure.
A weight is initially attached to the chain. (The chain can only hold 12 pounds) The motor(s) drive the weight up during the day and then after being sensed at the highest position by sensors, the weight falls down driving a motor an thus producing electricity.
I rather seem to have a few problems increasing or maximizing the system's efficiency.
Can anyone shed any light towards that direction because I really need to have this project finished before tomorrow.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the problem?

Have you calculated the amount of energy you'll be able to get out of the system overnight? And have you factored into this the losses which you will endure from friction in whatever gearing mechanism you're using?

This seems like something that should provide a pretty good energy storage efficiency. Please explain more about the problem you are having...

Nothing like wait until the last minute.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that your problem is the electrical machine not being able to operate efficiently in motor mode and generator mode. What makes a good motor, does not make a good generator. The solution is to have one machine working as a motor, and one machine working as a generator.

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It exists in various forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, electrical, chemical, and nuclear energy. It is a fundamental concept in physics and plays a crucial role in all natural phenomena.

2. How is energy produced?

Energy can be produced in various ways, including through chemical reactions, nuclear reactions, and electromagnetic induction. The most common methods of energy production involve the burning of fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, and natural gas, which release stored chemical energy in the form of heat and light.

3. What is renewable energy?

Renewable energy is energy that is generated from natural resources that are replenished constantly, such as sunlight, wind, water, and geothermal heat. Unlike fossil fuels, which are finite resources, renewable energy sources can be replenished and are considered more environmentally friendly.

4. What are the benefits of using renewable energy?

The use of renewable energy has many benefits, including reducing greenhouse gas emissions, improving air quality, promoting energy independence, and creating jobs in the renewable energy industry. It also helps to diversify our energy sources and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, which are non-renewable and contribute to climate change.

5. How can I reduce my energy consumption?

There are many ways to reduce your energy consumption, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, insulating your home, and using public transportation or carpooling. Additionally, using renewable energy sources and supporting policies that promote sustainable energy practices can also contribute to reducing overall energy consumption.