Can a function on 2D be piecewise continuous?

In summary, a piecewise continuous function is one that is continuous on all but a finite number of points. However, when considering a 2D space, a step function may not satisfy this definition because there are an infinite number of points where it is not continuous. This may be due to the fact that the term "piecewise" is typically used for 1D functions, or that the mathworld definition is not inclusive of higher dimensions. In either case, a suitable name for a 2D step function could be a function that is continuous, except in sets of null measure.
mikeph
I have a definition that a piecewise continuous function is one which is continuous on all but a finite number of points. I believe a step function would be a good example.

However in 2D space, an equivalent function to the step function (eg, for x>0, y>0, f(x,y) = 1 else f(x,y) = 0) does not satisfy this definition because there are an infinite number of points where this is not continuous. Surely this step function is a reasonable 2D extension.

It seems that either "piecewise" is purely intended for 1D functions, or the mathworld definition is discriminating against higher dimensions! In either case, what can I call my "2D step function"? I simply want it to mean a function which can have 2D steps, but nothing more than that.

Thanks for any help.

PS. Mathworld definition:
"A function or curve is piecewise continuous if it is continuous on all but a finite number of points"

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello MikeyW.

I'm not sure, but, sometimes in functional analisys, we say that, the function is continuous, except in sets of null measure. In this case, the function f(x,y)=1 if x>0, y>0, else f(x,y)=0, is continuous, except in sets of null measure.

1. Can a function on 2D be piecewise continuous?

Yes, a function on 2D can be piecewise continuous. This means that the function is continuous on each piece or segment of its domain, but may have discontinuities at the boundaries of these segments.

2. What is the difference between continuous and piecewise continuous?

A continuous function has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph, while a piecewise continuous function may have discontinuities at specific points. In other words, a piecewise continuous function is only continuous on each piece or segment of its domain, rather than on the entire domain.

3. How can you determine if a function on 2D is piecewise continuous?

To determine if a function on 2D is piecewise continuous, you must first identify any potential points of discontinuity, such as points where the function is undefined or has a jump, hole, or infinite limit. Then, you can check if the function is continuous on each piece or segment of its domain by evaluating the limit at the boundaries of these segments. If the limit exists and is equal to the function value at that point, then the function is piecewise continuous.

4. Can a piecewise continuous function have an infinite number of pieces?

Yes, a piecewise continuous function can have an infinite number of pieces. As long as the function is continuous on each piece or segment of its domain, it can have as many pieces as needed to accurately represent the function.

5. In what real-world situations might a function on 2D be piecewise continuous?

Piecewise continuous functions can arise in various real-world situations, such as in modeling population growth, stock market trends, or weather patterns. These functions may have discontinuities at certain points, such as when a natural disaster occurs or when there is a sudden change in economic conditions.