Can a gamma initiate weak decay of a proton?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Philip Wood
Gold Member
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
79
Does this ever happen?

p + [itex]\gamma[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] n + e+ + [itex]\nu_e[/itex]

It seems possible, if the [itex]\gamma[/itex] has enough energy, but I wonder if anyone can confirm that it happens.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Philip Wood said:
Does this ever happen?

p + [itex]\gamma[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] n + e+ + [itex]\nu_e[/itex]

It seems possible, if the [itex]\gamma[/itex] has enough energy, but I wonder if anyone can confirm that it happens.

While I have no idea of whether this could happen in practice, or what the cross section would be, I don't see anything to fundamentally prohibit it. In fact, it strikes me you could look at this as combining two well known interactions that do occur:

p + gamma -> p + e+ + e-

then, electron capture. Combine, and you get the proposed reaction. This supports the view that there shouldn't be anything fundamental prohibiting this.
 
Thank you. This does indeed make it seem even more plausible.