Can a Mass Attached to a Spring Move in a Magnetic Field with Electric Current?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Bananas40
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A mass is attached to a spring through which circulates an electric current. Will the mass move?

Homework Equations



F = I l [itex]\times[/itex] B ?

The Attempt at a Solution



A spring is geometrically equivalent to a solenoid. Therefore, the current would generate a magnetic field which goes through the spring. What I'm not sure of is whether this magnetic field exerts a force on the solenoid or not.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider what F = I l × B of a small section of the spring does on the current in the next loop of the coil. What is the direction of the resulting force ? (Ideal) springs are supposed to extend/contract in repsonse to forces in which direction ?

Problem formulation is somewhat vague: was the current there when we opened our eyes, or was it switched on at that moment ?