Can a non-academic write a strong letter of recommendation for grad school?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter dsaun777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Recommendation
In summary, letters of recommendation for grad students typically ask about the candidate's academic abilities and potential for success in graduate school. While it is important to have letters from professors who can speak to the candidate's academic skills, a letter from a satisfied employer who knows the candidate well can also add value. It is also helpful for the letter to mention the candidate's ability to interact, teach, and be reliable and personable. Ultimately, the main question that the letter should answer is whether the candidate will succeed in graduate school.
dsaun777
I am sure there are some people who were in positions to write letters of recommendation for grad students. What do these letters typically ask for? I am asking because I am requesting letters of recommendation from one of my employers and from 3 professors. My job has little to do with the grad field that I am applying to. I am worried that this might be offputting for the admissions department if my employer writes a great recommendation but lacks any sort of relevance to the science field. What are typical questions of these letters?

Physics news on Phys.org
Paart of your value as a graduate student is your ability to interact, perhaps to teach, to be reliable and personable. Obviously the first concern is that you have the academic "chops" to do the work, and that is primary, but I see nothing wrong with one letter from a satisfied employer who knows you well. The other letters will need to speak to academics: presumably their authors know the ropes. It is not unusual to take a few minutes to explain your hopes to your professor so she knows what the best emphasis might be.

The letter needs to answer the question "will this person succeed in graduate school". Having people who have been through graduate school obviously helps a lot. You may want to keep this in mind when asking a non-academic.

Great example: a guy asked his girlfriend's father for a letter. He thought it was a great idea that the young man went on to grad school. Ideally one far away. Far, far away.

Likes dsaun777 and hutchphd

1. Can a non-academic write a strong letter of recommendation for grad school?

Yes, a non-academic can write a strong letter of recommendation for grad school. While academic letters of recommendation are preferred, non-academic letters can also provide valuable insights into an applicant's character and abilities.

2. What should a non-academic include in a letter of recommendation for grad school?

A non-academic letter of recommendation should include specific examples of the applicant's skills, accomplishments, and potential for success in graduate school. It should also highlight any relevant experiences or qualities that make the applicant stand out.

3. Is a letter of recommendation from a non-academic less valuable than one from an academic?

Not necessarily. While academic letters may carry more weight in certain fields, a strong and well-written letter of recommendation from a non-academic can still make a positive impact on an applicant's profile.

4. Should a non-academic letter of recommendation be from someone who knows the applicant well?

Yes, it is important for a non-academic letter of recommendation to come from someone who knows the applicant well and can provide meaningful insights into their character and abilities. This could be a supervisor, mentor, or colleague.

5. How can a non-academic writer make their letter of recommendation stand out?

A non-academic writer can make their letter of recommendation stand out by providing specific examples and anecdotes that showcase the applicant's strengths and potential for success in graduate school. They should also tailor the letter to the specific program or institution and highlight any relevant experiences or qualities that make the applicant a strong fit.