1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strong letter of recommendation

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    (This is for grad school applications) I'll have one strong letter of recommendation from a previous research advisor, so I'm wondering about my choice of second letter. One option is a prof who works closely with my previous advisor. He knows me reasonably well and could write a good letter, but his experience with me is the same as the first prof and it would probably be mostly a rehash of the first letter. The other alternative is to use a prof I've taken a few classes with. He doesn't know me as well, but he's been impressed by my assignments/tests in his classes. He works in a different field from the first two profs, so it would give a little more diversity.

I guess it might not make a huge difference in the end, but which one is likely better? A "redundant" letter from someone who knows me well, or a "diverse" letter from someone who doesn't know me as well?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2014 #2
    Yikes, that's a really hard one. I'd say go with the prof who doesn't know you as well, but would 'diversify' your letters. Although, between now and the letter writing, I'd go to a bunch of his office hours and try to let him know you better. Plus, don't you usually need 3 letters?

4. Oct 3, 2014 #3
    The particular application I'm looking at (which has a much sooner deadline than all the others) only allows 2. Maybe the other ones will allow 3...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook