I Can a particle transform into its counter anti-particle?

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
So is there a proposed theoretical mechanism for transforming a particle into its own anti-particle?

##Electron \leftrightarrow Positron##
##Proton \leftrightarrow anti-Proton##

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
What do you mean by ”transform”? Without any other particles partaking in the process? In that case no, that would violate particle number.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
And charge conservation.

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
What do you mean by ”transform”? Without any other particles partaking in the process? In that case no, that would violate particle number.
What I had in mind is assume we have a particle and an anti-particle and we want to switch between them.
All we need is to exchange between them is the sign of charge, is it possible?

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

DrDu

Science Advisor
Well don't neutral particles have zero charge and thus they are their own anti-particle?
If the answer to the above question is 'correct', then that's not what I was looking for.
Take a hydrogen atom which is neutral. If you invert the charge of both the electron and proton, you get an anti-hydrogen, which is evidently not equal to a hydrogen atom, although it is also neutral.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Well don't neutral particles have zero charge and thus they are their own anti-particle?
If the answer to the above question is 'correct', then that's not what I was looking for.
No, this is incorrect. Neutral particles are not necessarily their own anti-particles, although it is a prerequisite for that to be the case.

Take a hydrogen atom which is neutral. If you invert the charge of both the electron and proton, you get an anti-hydrogen, which is evidently not equal to a hydrogen atom, although it is also neutral.
Well, hydrogen does not oscillate into anti-hydrogen (in the standard model) so it may be more instructive to discuss the kaons from your previous post. Neutral kaons are combinations of ##s\bar d## and ##d\bar s##.

Well, hydrogen does not oscillate into anti-hydrogen (in the standard model) so it may be more instructive to discuss the kaons from your previous post. Neutral kaons are combinations of ##s\bar d## and ##d\bar s##.
I think that was the point. Not everything neutral is its own antiparticle.
The neutron is another example. Antineutrons are different particles.

@MathematicalPhysicist: Antiparticles differ from particles by more than just the electric charge. All quantum numbers are reversed.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I think that was the point. Not everything neutral is its own antiparticle.
The neutron is another example. Antineutrons are different particles.
I thought the point of the OP was to ask whether particles can transform into anti-particles. For that it is naturally necessary that the particle is different from the anti-particle. The point of #5 was to say that this does indeed happen for (some) neutral particles, but the example of #8 is not one of those cases, but the kaon is.

DrDu

Science Advisor
Another way to look at the situation is to say that the Kaon is only a particle when weak interaction is neglected, but is no longer a particle, once weak interaction is taken into account, but rather a superposition of two resonances with different lifetime. So strictly speaking, there is no transformation of a particle into its antiparticle here either.