How are anti-protons created? Where do they come from?

• I
  • Thread starter Mr. Fizzix
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of positrons and anti-protons. The speaker mentions having a theory about antiproton creation, but is unable to find information on it. It is suggested to use resources such as a "rookie book" on antiproton production, but also reminds the speaker that personal theories are not allowed. The conversation ends with the reminder that without a specific question, it is difficult to provide any help or answers.
Mr. Fizzix
I understand how positrons are created, contained, etc. But everytime I try to research how anti-protons are created, they just talk about positrons. I do, probably have a theory as to how they are created, if none exists. I know they are created in particle accelerators, which is consistent with my theory. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Googling "antiproton source" yields 180,000 hits. The third link is http://pbar.fnal.gov/ where you can download the "rookie book", which will have more information than you can possibly use.

Likes jim mcnamara and fresh_42
Hmmmm, I wasn't able to find my answer there.

First, let's dispense with the obvious. Personal theories are against PF rules, and besides, if you don't know anything about antiproton production, any theories you develop about antiproton production are going to be wrong.

Second, if you have a specific question in mind and do not ask it, nor even Google it, you're not going to get an answer.

Likes vanhees71 and mfb
Vanadium 50 said:
Second, if you have a specific question in mind and do not ask it, nor even Google it, you're not going to get an answer.
Indeed, if you do not have a specific question, there is nothing much we can do to help.

Thread closed.

Likes vanhees71

1. How are anti-protons created?

Anti-protons are created through a process called pair production, where high-energy photons collide with matter to produce a particle and its corresponding antiparticle. In this case, anti-protons are created when high-energy protons collide with matter and produce an anti-proton and proton pair.

2. What is the source of anti-protons?

The primary source of anti-protons is through the collisions of protons in high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Anti-protons can also be found in cosmic rays, which are high-energy particles that originate from outer space.

3. Can anti-protons be created naturally?

Yes, anti-protons can be created naturally through high-energy processes in the universe, such as in supernovas or other energetic events. However, the amount of anti-protons created naturally is much less compared to those created in particle accelerators.

4. How are anti-protons detected?

Anti-protons are detected through a process called annihilation, where they collide with a proton and both particles are destroyed, releasing energy and creating new particles. This energy can be detected and measured by specialized detectors in particle accelerators.

5. What is the significance of anti-protons in scientific research?

Anti-protons are important in scientific research as they provide insight into the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws of physics. They also have potential uses in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in the development of new technologies such as antimatter propulsion systems for space travel.