Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How are anti-protons created? Where do they come from?

1. Sep 17, 2017 #1
    I understand how positrons are created, contained, etc. But everytime I try to research how anti-protons are created, they just talk about positrons. I do, probably have a theory as to how they are created, if none exists. I know they are created in particle accelerators, which is consistent with my theory. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Googling "antiproton source" yields 180,000 hits. The third link is http://pbar.fnal.gov/ where you can download the "rookie book", which will have more information than you can possibly use.

4. Sep 18, 2017 #3
    Hmmmm, I wasn't able to find my answer there.

5. Sep 18, 2017 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

First, let's dispense with the obvious. Personal theories are against PF rules, and besides, if you don't know anything about antiproton production, any theories you develop about antiproton production are going to be wrong.

Second, if you have a specific question in mind and do not ask it, nor even Google it, you're not going to get an answer.

6. Sep 19, 2017 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Indeed, if you do not have a specific question, there is nothing much we can do to help.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook