Can a rectifier circuit be used in a DC motor to convert AC to DC?

  • Thread starter Thread starter theBEAST
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ac Dc
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
theBEAST
Messages
361
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I just learned that in a DC motor you use a commutator to convert the AC current to DC. And in my other course I learned that you can convert AC current to DC using a rectifier circuit. If this is the case, why don't we use a rectifier circuit in a DC motor to convert the AC to DC?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the other way around. In DC motors, DC is converted to AC by the commutator. Do you understand why this is done?
 
I just learned that in a DC motor you use a commutator to convert the AC current to DC
You sure about this? Can you describe in a bit more detail what you think the commutator is doing and why ?

This isn't really homework with a 1,2 3 template, but asking for detail might help understanding the background and nature of this question.
 
voko said:
It is the other way around. In DC motors, DC is converted to AC by the commutator. Do you understand why this is done?

Oh yeah you are right, in DC motors it is the other way around. I think I get it now, you need the commutator to give AC current so that as the coil (not sure if this is the right name for the rotating object, please correct me) rotates 180 degrees, the current will flip directly to keep it rotating.

BvU said:
You sure about this? Can you describe in a bit more detail what you think the commutator is doing and why ?

This isn't really homework with a 1,2 3 template, but asking for detail might help understanding the background and nature of this question.

It is because I initially saw a video on generators found here:


In this example, could I replace the commutator with a rectifying diode circuit?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Definitely. Advantageous too: less mechanical wear, less sparks etc.

Beautiful video.
 
theBEAST said:
the coil (not sure if this is the right name for the rotating object, please correct me)

That is not wrong in general. There is more specific terminology for electrical machines, however. From the electrical point view, a coil would be called (part of) "armature" (note there may be more than one coil in general). From the mechanical point of view, the rotating part would be called the "rotor".