Can a shear operation introduce a new linear dependency?

In summary: Basically, a shear is an operation that moves points in a specific direction while keeping the other axis fixed. In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of an elemental shear operation and the difficulty in proving that it does not introduce a new linear dependency. The participants discuss the definition of a shear and its matrix representation, as well as its properties and effects on vector spaces. The goal is to prove that the rank does not change in a shear operation.
swampwiz
Specifically, an elemental shear operation.

I can prove how any existing linear dependency that exists persists with the new sheared vector, but I can't seem to prove that this shear operation does not introduce a linear dependency. I can see how the vector space between the 2 rows involved does not change since the situation of those vectors being non-parallel has the updated row still not being parallel to the other, and for the situation in which they are parallel, the updated row remains parallel. My goal is to be able to prove that the rank does not change in a shear operation.

EDIT: I think I can justify the contention that there is no new linear dependency since I do not introduce an equation of the form of the zero vector (or any constant vector) to a coefficient sum of row vectors - but this seems weak.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you shear a square by 45°? Now do the same operation with 90°.

fresh_42 said:
What happens if you shear a square by 45°? Now do the same operation with 90°.
OK, I see how a shear of 90° is impossible. I just can't seem to prove that somehow by bad luck there isn't some new dependency being introduced in the total matrix.

Why is it impossible? It is a shear of a square to a flat line. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by a shear. How is it defined?

fresh_42 said:
Why is it impossible? It is a shear of a square to a flat line. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by a shear. How is it defined?
I was interpreting it as the angle from the normal, so 0 degrees would be zero shear. In essence, the shear amount is the tangent, and of course the tangent of 90 degrees in infinity.

swampwiz said:

I can prove how any existing linear dependency that exists persists with the new sheared vector, but I can't seem to prove that this shear operation does not introduce a linear dependency. I can see how the vector space between the 2 rows involved does not change since the situation of those vectors being non-parallel has the updated row still not being parallel to the other, and for the situation in which they are parallel, the updated row remains parallel. My goal is to be able to prove that the rank does not change in a shear operation.

EDIT: I think I can justify the contention that there is no new linear dependency since I do not introduce an equation of the form of the zero vector (or any constant vector) to a coefficient sum of row vectors - but this seems weak.

2nd EDIT: OK, I took the notion of not introducing a new linear dependency and went in reverse - which is easy to do since all it does is change the plus to a minus sign - and since they persist in both directions, the number of them must be invariant. I guess because a shear in invertible, I should have thought of it like that originally.

AFAIK, a linear map ##L: A \rightarrow B ## preserves subspaces iff DimA ## \leq ##DimB and L has trivial kernel.

WWGD said:
AFAIK, a linear map ##L: A \rightarrow B ## preserves subspaces iff DimA ## \leq ##DimB and L has trivial kernel.
So is it not a shear, if the angle is 90° which makes a square a flat line?

fresh_42 said:
So is it not a shear, if the angle is 90° which makes a square a flat line?
What is the matrix rep of a shear, and a shear by 90 deg?

WWGD said:
What is the matrix rep of a shear, and a shear by 90 deg?
  1. In general? I don't know. That's why I asked for the definition of a shear. Maybe I'm lost in translation.
  2. ##\begin{bmatrix}1&1 \\0&0\end{bmatrix}##

swampwiz said:

Would you please give us a precise definition of shear, e.g., the matrix with respect to the standard basis?

WWGD said:
I guess I am going by the standard Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_mapping

Still, your map would not be a counter, since it has non-trivial kernel including, e.g. ##\{(0,a): a \in \mathbb R \} ##
That was the idea. Just putting it to the extreme.

What is a shear operation?

A shear operation is a type of transformation in linear algebra that involves stretching or compressing a geometric shape along a specific axis. It is often used in computer graphics and image processing to alter the shape or orientation of an object.

How does a shear operation affect linear dependencies?

A shear operation can potentially introduce new linear dependencies between the dimensions of a geometric shape. This means that after the shear transformation, some of the dimensions may become dependent on each other, whereas they were previously independent.

Can a shear operation remove existing linear dependencies?

Yes, a shear operation can also remove existing linear dependencies between dimensions. This is because it changes the relationship between the dimensions and can alter their independence or dependence on each other.

What factors determine whether a shear operation will introduce a new linear dependency?

The angle and direction of the shear operation are the main factors that determine whether a new linear dependency will be introduced. If the shear is applied in a way that aligns with an existing linear dependency, it will not introduce a new one. However, if the shear is applied at an angle or direction that is not aligned with any existing dependencies, it may introduce a new one.

Are there any practical applications of shear operations and linear dependencies?

Yes, shear operations and linear dependencies have many practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis. For example, shear transformations can be used to correct distortions in images or to create 3D effects in computer graphics. Linear dependencies are also important in data analysis, as they can reveal relationships between variables and help identify patterns in data.