Can a Tachometer Measure the Torque of a Rotating Disc?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
nicole2000
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello All!

I have one machine. The disc (Horizontal place) is rotating and connecting to the shaft which is connecting to gear box and ac motor.

I would like to k now the torque of rotating disc for some interval such as 10s, 20s, 30s, to take reading , but I do not have money to buy torque meter.


I would like to know can I use tachometer to take the rotation speed of rotating disc within interval, 10s per taking.
And then I can use T= I x aplha to find the different time's torque reading

Please advise me.
Or could you please give me another ideas or suggestions?
Thanks a lot.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's an extremely rough way to do it. If you were to go that route, I would recommend that you reduce that 10 sec interval to less than a second. If you can sample the speed quicker, say 10 Hz or better, you will have a better resultant calculation of the torque, especially if you are trying to see the result of an applied load.

Without proper instrumentation, I don't see how you're going to get any better results that easily.