Can adolescent dreams of greatness as a physicist survive reality?

Have you always thought you will achieve GREATNESS?

  • YES, all the time. I will unite all physics theories!

    Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Not really. I know I will never be the next Einstein.

    Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Don't care.

    Votes: 18 36.0%

  • Total voters
    50
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 8K views
ZapperZ said:
So this idea of being the "best physicist" in the world is a myth. It certainly is a non-issue among physicists, just like the "wave-particle duality".

Zz.
Yeah - that's why I stuck it in inverted commas :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't such a bad idea to imagine your a great physicist, at least once in a while. It boosts your self-confidence and makes you feel better. But realizing your not so spectacular isn't such a bad thing either; certainly, it taught me some humility.

For the most part though, I like to think of the whole physics community as one unit. Every one, even the great ones, are "standing on the shoulders of giants." (Newton's line if you haven't heard it.)
 
Zapper is right on. Go with what you love. American idol is an absurd comparison for academia. Academic life is the opposite: to be happy one has to be content helping people, and advancing the subject you work in, in a way that will probably never bring any recognition, or even compensation remotely commensurate with your effort and ability.

American idol is perversely entertaining precisely for those persons who hope to hit the jackpot with a modicum of ability and even less effort. Don't be one of them.
 
Last edited: