Can an entire function with a specific limit at infinity be non-constant?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, an entire function is one that is analytic on the entire complex plane and has no singularities or poles. It is possible for an entire function to have a specific limit at infinity and still be non-constant, meaning that its output values can vary for different input values. To determine the limit at infinity of an entire function, one can use Cauchy's integral formula for derivatives. However, there are a few exceptions to the definition of an entire function, such as when it has a finite number of removable singularities or poles.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Show that if $f$ is an entire function with $\lim\limits_{z\to \infty} \dfrac{\operatorname{Re}f(z)}{z} = 0$, then $f$ is constant.

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to Janssens for his correct solution, which is posted below.
Instead of the Cauchy integral formula (used for the Liouville Theorem), we invoke (a corollary of) the Poisson integral formula for harmonic functions (Bak and Newman, Complex Analysis, 2010, Theorem 16.9). Namely, writing $f = u + i v$ with $u := \Re{f}$ and $v := \Im{f}$, we have
$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} u(R e^{i\theta})\frac{R e^{i\theta} + z}{R e^{i\theta} - z}\,d\theta + i v(0),
$$
for all $z \in \mathbb{C}$ and $R > |z|$. This is useful, because it enables reconstruction of $f$ from its real part. So, for any fixed $z \in \mathbb{C}$ and arbitrary $R > |z|$,
\begin{align*}
|f(z) - f(0)| &\le \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} |u(R e^{i\theta})| \frac{2|z|}{|R e^{i\theta} - z|}\,d\theta\\
&= \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{|u(R e^{i\theta})|}{|R e^{i\theta}|} \frac{|z|}{|1 - \frac{z}{R}e^{-i\theta}|}\,d\theta.
\end{align*}
By the reverse triangle inequality,
$$
\left|1 - \frac{z}{R}e^{-i\theta}\right| \ge \left|1 - \frac{|z|}{R}\right|,
$$
so
$$
|f(z) - f(0)| \le \frac{|z|}{\pi|1 - \frac{|z|}{R}|}\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{|u(R e^{i\theta})|}{|R e^{i\theta}|} \, d\theta.
$$
Now, by the definition of the complex limit, the remaining integrand tends to zero as $R \to \infty$, uniformly for $\theta \in [0,2\pi]$. Hence the integral tends to zero as well. Also, the factor in front of the integral remains bounded, so this gives the result.

1. Can an entire function have a specific limit at infinity?

Yes, an entire function can have a specific limit at infinity. This means that as the input values of the function approach infinity, the output values also approach a specific number. This number is known as the limit at infinity.

2. Can an entire function with a specific limit at infinity be non-constant?

Yes, an entire function with a specific limit at infinity can be non-constant. This means that the function can have varying output values for different input values, even though it has a specific limit at infinity.

3. What does it mean for a function to be entire?

A function is considered entire if it is analytic (meaning it can be represented by a power series) on the entire complex plane. This means that the function has no singularities or poles anywhere on the complex plane.

4. How can I determine the limit at infinity of an entire function?

To determine the limit at infinity of an entire function, you can use the Cauchy's integral formula for derivatives. This formula allows you to calculate the derivative of a function at a given point using the values of the function on a closed contour surrounding that point.

5. Are there any exceptions to the definition of an entire function?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the definition of an entire function. For example, a function can be entire even if it has a finite number of isolated singularities, as long as those singularities are removable. Additionally, a function can be entire if it has a finite number of poles, as long as those poles are located at the points where the function is not defined.