Can an Entire Function Be Non-Zero with Finite Double Integral?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, an entire function can be non-zero with finite double integral, meaning it is continuous and defined for all complex numbers and its integral over a finite region results in a finite value. An entire function is a complex-valued function that is defined and analytic at every point in the complex plane. A finite double integral implies that the function is well-behaved and has no singularities or infinite values within the region of integration. Conditions for an entire function to have a finite double integral include continuity, well-behavedness, and analyticity within the finite region of integration. The significance of an entire function having a finite double integral lies in its usefulness in various mathematical and scientific applications.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Show that if $f$ is an entire function such that $\int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert f(x + yi)\rvert^2\, dx\, dy < \infty$, then $f$ is identically zero.-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was solved correctly by Kokuhaku. You can read his solution below.
Note that $\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert f(x + yi)\rvert^2\, dx\, dy = \int_0^\infty \int_0^{2\pi} \lvert f(re^{i\theta}) \rvert^2 r\, d\theta\,dr$ by using polar coordinates. Also, since $f$ is entire function we have $f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n z^n$, where $\displaystyle a_n = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{\lvert z \rvert=r} \frac{f(z)}{z^{n+1}}dz = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{f(r e^{i \theta})}{r^n} d\theta$ for every $r >0$ and $n \in \mathbb{N}_{\geqslant 0}$. We will prove that $a_n=0$ for $n \in \mathbb{N}_{\geqslant 0}$.

Using representation of $a_n$, we have $\displaystyle \lvert a_n \rvert \leqslant \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\lvert f(re^{i \theta})\rvert}{r^n} d\theta$. Now, from Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for integrals we obtain $\displaystyle \lvert a_n \rvert ^2 \leqslant \frac{1}{2\pi r^{2n}} \int_0^{2\pi} \lvert f(re^{i \theta})\rvert^2 d\theta$, that is $\displaystyle \lvert a_n \rvert^2 r^{2n+1} \leqslant \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \lvert f(re^{i \theta})\rvert^2 r \,d\theta$. Now, integrating by $\displaystyle \int_0^\infty dr$ we find $\displaystyle \lvert a_n \rvert^2 \int_0^\infty r^{2n+1} \, dr \leqslant \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^\infty \int_0^{2\pi} \lvert f(re^{i \theta})\rvert^2 r \,d\theta \,dr$. Since RHS of last inequality is finite and $\displaystyle \int_0^\infty r^{2n+1} \, dr$ diverges, we must have $a_n=0$ for every $n \in \mathbb{N}_{\geqslant 0}$, from which we have $f(z)=0$ for all $z \in \mathbb{C}$.

1. Can an entire function be non-zero with finite double integral?

Yes, an entire function can be non-zero with finite double integral. This means that the function is continuous and defined for all complex numbers, and when integrated over a finite region, the result is a finite value.

2. What is an entire function?

An entire function is a complex-valued function that is defined and analytic (infinitely differentiable) at every point in the complex plane. This means that it can be represented by a power series that converges to the function for all values of the complex variable.

3. What does it mean for a function to have a finite double integral?

A finite double integral means that the function is integrable over a two-dimensional region and the resulting value is finite. This implies that the function is well-behaved and does not have any singularities or infinite values within the region of integration.

4. Are there any conditions for an entire function to have a finite double integral?

Yes, there are conditions for an entire function to have a finite double integral. For example, the function must be continuous and well-behaved within the region of integration, and the region of integration must be finite. Additionally, the function must be analytic at every point within the region of integration.

5. What is the significance of an entire function having a finite double integral?

An entire function having a finite double integral is significant because it implies that the function is well-behaved and can be integrated over a finite region without any issues. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in complex analysis and physics.