Can an increased oxygen supply make you stronger?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility that increased atmospheric pressure at 800m underground may have aided a man in carrying heavy objects. Some suggest that this could be due to a psychological effect or an increase in oxygen intake in the bloodstream. Others point out that the opposite may be true, with lower atmospheric pressure resulting in an increase in red blood cells. It is also mentioned that athletes sometimes use techniques to increase oxygen intake before a race. The conversation ends with a question about whether there is any way to verify the effects of atmospheric pressure on the body.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

A friend of mine told me her dad used to work in the coal mines, like 800m under the ground, and he found that whenever he had to carry something heavy from inside to outside of the coal mine, he always noticed that carrying that same thing underground was easier than carrying it outside (at sea level).

I was wondering: is it a plausible explanation that 800m underground there is a higher atmospheric pressure and this somehow leads to an increased oxygen intake in the bloodstream (why exactly? the ratio varies with height?) and as oxygen is used in the muscles for burning, in return of work, this could maybe help him carry the load?

Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
The explanation is more likely psychological.

I would assume the opposite, if he worked enough underground he was aclimatized to the denser air underground. So it might have been that it was the thinner ground level air that affected his preformance and not the other way around.

mr. vodka said:
I was wondering: is it a plausible explanation that 800m underground there is a higher atmospheric pressure and this somehow leads to an increased oxygen intake in the bloodstream (why exactly? the ratio varies with height?) and as oxygen is used in the muscles for burning, in return of work, this could maybe help him carry the load?

Thank you.

Hyperbaric chambers are designed around the principle that increased atmpospheric pressure will indeed drive more gases such as oygen into the tissues. So yes, your friend's dad was effectively in a mild hyperbaric pressure chamber.

Last edited:
zhermes - How so? Is it a common psychological effect? Or do you think when the math is done the oxygen increase will amount to a negligble amount?

madcat - Hm, what's the crucial difference between the two cases which makes you think the opposite?

Dave - very interesting, I will google that

Thank you all :)

Sometimes runners travel to high locations just before a meet. The reason is that at high altitudes the air is thinner and the body produces more red blood cells(RBC's) in order to compensate. When they return to more normal levels they will have the extra RBC's for a week or two giveing them an advantage. If however this person spent most of his time underground in the mine his body might have a reduced level of RBC's because they would be unneeded in the thicker mine air. Then when they had to return to the surface they would be at a disadvantage as the air would be thinner. It would take a week or two at the surface for them to have the same arobic capasity that normal people at that elevation would have.

That sounds very reasonable! Thanks.

Also, Apolo Ohno this past Olympics would force himself to yawn several times right before he raced to get increased levels of oxygen. (It also had the side effect of making the others racers think he wasn't worried at all, hehe.)

madcat8000 said:
If however this person spent most of his time underground in the mine his body might have a reduced level of RBC's because they would be unneeded in the thicker mine air.
Plausible as it may sound, is this actually true though?

Just because lower than normal air pressure results in an increase in RBCs, this does not mean higher than normal air pressure results in lower than normal RBCs.

eg. Compared to my normal skin, extra tissue will build up (i.e. callouses) where the skin rubs on clothes, tools or shoes. This is a defense reaction.

That does not mean that the opposite is true - that my skin gets extra thin where it does not rub on anything.

Is there any way to find out?

You have a point Dave, but it depends on the geography of the area the mine is in and the level of pressureization the mine operates at. I am sure there's a base level of RBC's but I doubt I can find it.

1. Can an increased oxygen supply really make you stronger?

Yes, an increased oxygen supply can make you stronger as oxygen is a key component in producing energy for our muscles. When we have more oxygen available, we are able to produce more energy and therefore perform physical tasks with more strength and endurance.

2. How does an increased oxygen supply affect muscle growth?

An increased oxygen supply can aid in muscle growth by increasing the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to our muscles. This helps with muscle repair and recovery, allowing our muscles to grow and become stronger.

3. Is there a limit to how much oxygen can improve strength?

Yes, there is a limit to how much oxygen can improve strength. While oxygen is essential for producing energy in our muscles, too much oxygen can actually have negative effects on our bodies, such as oxidative stress and tissue damage.

4. Can oxygen supplements increase strength?

Oxygen supplements claim to increase strength by delivering more oxygen to the muscles. However, there is limited scientific evidence to support this claim. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplements.

5. How can I increase my oxygen supply for better strength?

Some ways to increase your oxygen supply for better strength include regular aerobic exercise, proper breathing techniques, and maintaining a healthy diet to ensure adequate oxygen and nutrient intake. Also, make sure to stay hydrated and avoid smoking, which can decrease oxygen levels in the body.