1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone identify the approximation used in this solution?

1. Feb 27, 2014 #1
    I am trying to follow the reasoning of the last problem in the set linked below. I can't figure out what approximation they used in step 24. Thanks.

http://www.physics.fsu.edu/courses/spring08/phy5524/sol1.pdf

It looks like it might be an approximation based on a geometric series, but there is no summation.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2014 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They're using the approximation ##\frac 1 {1-x} \approx 1+x##, or even more appropriately, ##1+x \approx \frac 1 {1-x}## where ##x=\frac {N-1}2 \frac {v_0} V##.

4. Feb 27, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is a summation at step 20.
    The approximation comes in at 21-22

But you want to know how you go from $$\frac{P}{k_BT}\simeq \frac{1}{V-(N-1)v_0/2}$$ to $$\frac{P}{k_BT}\simeq \frac{1}{V-Nv_0/2}$$ ... well ##(N-1)x \simeq Nx## if ##x<<Nx## right? Presumably N is a very big number?

[edit] DH has it formally :)

5. Feb 27, 2014 #4
    Thanks for your help! DH, I assume that approximation is only valid for small x correct? It seems as if N is very large, then the approximation wouldn't be a good one.

6. Feb 27, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hmmm... I didn't check it properly.
    We seem to be saying different things after all - I am pointing out that for large ##N##, ##N - 1 \approx N##.

You can get some very hokey-looking approximations in physics.

7. Feb 28, 2014 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, N is large, which makes step 25 valid, where N-1 is simplified to N. The assumption that makes step 24 valid is that ##Nv_0 \ll V##. In other words, this assumption says the volume excluded by all of the gas molecules is much less than the total volume of the system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted