Can anyone identify the approximation used in this solution?

In summary: So, in summary, the approximation used in step 24 is based on a geometric series and assumes that the volume excluded by the gas molecules is much less than the total volume of the system.
foldylocks
I am trying to follow the reasoning of the last problem in the set linked below. I can't figure out what approximation they used in step 24. Thanks.

http://www.physics.fsu.edu/courses/spring08/phy5524/sol1.pdf

It looks like it might be an approximation based on a geometric series, but there is no summation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They're using the approximation ##\frac 1 {1-x} \approx 1+x##, or even more appropriately, ##1+x \approx \frac 1 {1-x}## where ##x=\frac {N-1}2 \frac {v_0} V##.

There is a summation at step 20.
The approximation comes in at 21-22

But you want to know how you go from $$\frac{P}{k_BT}\simeq \frac{1}{V-(N-1)v_0/2}$$ to $$\frac{P}{k_BT}\simeq \frac{1}{V-Nv_0/2}$$ ... well ##(N-1)x \simeq Nx## if ##x<<Nx## right? Presumably N is a very big number?

[edit] DH has it formally :)

Thanks for your help! DH, I assume that approximation is only valid for small x correct? It seems as if N is very large, then the approximation wouldn't be a good one.

Hmmm... I didn't check it properly.
We seem to be saying different things after all - I am pointing out that for large ##N##, ##N - 1 \approx N##.

You can get some very hokey-looking approximations in physics.

foldylocks said:
Thanks for your help! DH, I assume that approximation is only valid for small x correct? It seems as if N is very large, then the approximation wouldn't be a good one.
Yes, N is large, which makes step 25 valid, where N-1 is simplified to N. The assumption that makes step 24 valid is that ##Nv_0 \ll V##. In other words, this assumption says the volume excluded by all of the gas molecules is much less than the total volume of the system.

1. What is an approximation in scientific terms?

An approximation is an estimate or a rough calculation that is used when an exact solution is not known or is too complex to calculate. It is a simplified version of a problem that is used to get a close enough answer.

2. Why are approximations used in scientific solutions?

Approximations are used in scientific solutions because many real-world problems are too complex to solve exactly. By using approximations, scientists can still get an accurate enough answer without spending too much time and resources on calculations.

3. How do scientists determine the accuracy of an approximation?

Scientists determine the accuracy of an approximation by comparing it to the exact solution, if it is known. They also use mathematical methods to analyze the error or difference between the approximation and the exact solution.

4. What are some common methods for making approximations in science?

There are several common methods for making approximations in science, including linearization, using Taylor series, and using numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve simplifying or breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. Are approximations always accurate?

No, approximations are not always accurate. They are meant to provide a close enough solution, but there is always some level of error involved. The accuracy of an approximation depends on the method used and the complexity of the problem. In some cases, multiple approximations may be needed to get a more accurate solution.