1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone provide a proof for

1. Apr 2, 2007 #1

tpm

Can anyone give a proof of why the product of 2 distributions can't be defined ?? :Confused:

In fact i believe (at least it should be) that if [tex] f_{n} (x) [/tex] and [tex] g_{n} (x) [/tex] are a succesion of function for [tex] n \rightarrow \infty [/tex] then the product of the 2 sucessions should be equal to the product of the 2 distributions..

hence [tex] f_{n} (x) \rightarrow d(x) [/tex] and [tex] g_{n} (x) \rightarrow e(x) [/tex] where d(x) and e(x) are 2 distributions then :

[tex] f_{n} (x) g_{n} (x) \rightarrow d(x)e(x) [/tex] ???

I have read about 'MOllifiers' and several methods for generalizing the distribution theory to include product of distributions, also couldn't the product be always defined as a 'sum' (in fact the sum of 2 distributions is defined) since:

[tex] a X b = a+a+a+a+a+a+a+a+..... [/tex] (the sum has 'b' terms)

or [tex] log(a X b )=log(a) +log(b) [/tex] :Grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2007 #2
    It can be defined, but only in certain special cases and in a very special way.

Take the delta distribution defined by [itex]\delta[f]:=f(0)[/itex], where [itex]f[/itex] is in Schwartz Space/ a test function. How would you define [itex]\delta^2[/itex]?

4. Apr 3, 2007 #3

tpm

you can define [tex] \delta (x) \delta (x) = \delta ^{2} (x) [/tex] in the form.

[tex] \delta ^{2} (x) \sim \frac{ sin ^{2} (Nx)}{\pi ^{2} x^{2}} [/tex]

as N-->oo (N big) , do i get the 'Field medal' for it ?? :Bigrin:

5. Apr 5, 2007 #4
    let [tex] log(a )=c'[/tex], and [tex] log( b )=c"[/tex], let's say that both logs have a base "d"( i do not know how to write it )

then by definition we have from the first

d^c'=a, and d^c"=b

if we multiply side by side we get

ab=(d^c')(d^c")=d^(c'+c") so agani by definition we have
    log_d(ab)=c'+c", , i guess you can see the rest?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  6. Apr 5, 2007 #5

Stingray

Science Advisor

This doesn't work. Say that two sequences [itex]f_n(x)[/itex] and [itex]g_n(x)[/itex] both converge to the Dirac distribution. Depending on what these functions are, it's possible to obtain [itex]f_n(x) g_n(x) \rightarrow 0[/itex], among many other results. The limit of the product depends on more than the limits of the individual sequences. It's not unique.

That only makes sense if b is an integer. But multiplication of distributions by integers is already defined (as is multiplication by arbitrary complex numbers).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?