Can bacteria in Beef be killed without heat?

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of eating raw ground sirloin and whether it can be sterilized without cooking. The individual has been eating raw sirloin for many years with no issues, but a doctor advised against it. The use of gamma radiation for sterilization is mentioned and the individual questions the doctor's concern as raw meat dishes are common in many cultures. The conversation also raises concerns about the cleanliness and quality of store-bought ground meat. The suggestion is made to grind the meat oneself for added safety.
NIGHTHAWK117
Is there any way to kill bacteria in raw ground sirloin without cooking it? Possibly some sort of light or UV?

I have been eating raw sirloin with onion sandwiches occasionally for 30+ years with no problems. (they used to serve it at weddings) It is awesome!

After this came up in a conversation with a doctor, she looked at me as if I were from another planet and suggested never eating it raw again.

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Gamma rays in sufficient quantity. It's the method used for "irradiated sterilization".

Guess the doctor has never had sushi or steak tartar. I've even had chicken sashimi in Japan. About the only place I'd trust that though.

It is possible to sterilize samples with gamma radiation, see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterilization_(microbiology).

Honestly, in this particular case I would not care much about what doc said. If the meat is fresh and was checked for parasites, it is perfectly safe. My guess is that it is just a jerk knee reflex of someone who never ate such things. Raw meat dishes are popular in many cultures - and I don't mean Amazonian Indians. See for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpaccio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett

and while it is not beef, it is still raw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi

served in almost every Japanese restaurant.

Edit: posted at almost the same time.

It's possible that the doctor's concern comes from the fact that meat is always expected to be cooked in the US, so it's handled/stored with that in mind?

Last edited:
caffenta said:
meat is always expected to be cooked in the US

Is it? Or is it just a fact that most people think that way, because they are not aware of other possibilities?

Yes, in most cases meat is cooked, yes, most people never ate raw meat, yes, most people are not aware of the fact that there do exist dishes made of raw meat. And yes, I think doc reaction is a prejudice.

Personally, I wouldn't eat a raw ground meat product if it was bought already ground up. I just don't have that much trust in other people, I guess. (For example, was the grinder completely clean before the beef was ground? Maybe it was it used to grind pork before the beef and not properly cleaned. And why was the sirloin ground in the first place? They probably could get more $$ for it if it was unground, so was it looking too bad to sell as a steak or roast?)

I'd advise you to buy a sirloin steak and grind it yourself, if it's something you can't live without.

1. Can bacteria in beef be killed without cooking it?

Yes, there are other methods besides cooking that can kill bacteria in beef. These include using acidic marinades, high-pressure processing, and irradiation.

2. How does acidic marinade kill bacteria in beef?

Acidic marinades, such as those made with vinegar or citrus juices, can lower the pH of the beef and create an environment that is inhospitable for bacteria to survive. This method is commonly used for marinating meats before cooking.

3. What is high-pressure processing and how does it kill bacteria in beef?

High-pressure processing (HPP) involves applying extreme pressure to packaged beef, which destroys the cell walls of bacteria and renders them unable to survive. HPP is becoming a more popular method for treating foods, including beef, to eliminate bacteria without using heat.

4. Is irradiation an effective method for killing bacteria in beef?

Yes, irradiation is an effective method for killing bacteria in beef. It involves exposing the beef to a controlled amount of radiation, which damages the DNA of the bacteria and prevents them from reproducing. Irradiation is considered safe for food consumption and can extend the shelf life of beef.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using non-heat methods to kill bacteria in beef?

Some people may have concerns about the safety and potential effects of using non-heat methods to kill bacteria in beef. However, these methods are regulated and considered safe for consumption by organizations such as the FDA and USDA. Additionally, some may argue that these methods can alter the taste or texture of the beef, but this is a matter of personal preference.