Can closed wing aircraft take off as hydrofoil

In summary: The 3 times denser atmosphere allows for a take off speed that's 1/sqrt(3) of the same design on Earth.Assuming that it would be a plane in a way comparable to a B-29 (stall speed 170 km/h), then it bare minimum take off would not be much higher than 100 km/h. So the idea: optimised for flight, and just have to somehow slide desperately on water for a while.
Czcibor
Mildly futuristic setting concerning technology, sparsely populated exoplanet with 3 atm. I'm looking for a cool, but very practical plane design.

A photo of design that I thought about (from wikipedia) :
640px-Artistic_view_of_a_PrandtlPlane_freighter.png

(except that I think about a bit smaller ones)

It looks as if such design had two features that made it destined to become a flying boat:
-engines put highly, so would be out of reach of water;
-front part of lowly put wings seem able to act as hydrofoil.

From what I've read modern passenger planes easily stay afloat for a while, but the problem is water slowly seeping inside. Sticking all holes seems feasible.

Could such design be adjusted easily to act as flying boat?

I also thought about twin pressurized hulls to let it act as catamaran. Feasible?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the outside pressure is three atmospheres your plane likely becomes an airship. To act like a boat you'd have to design it to be heavy enough that it doesn't float off.

Ryan_m_b said:
If the outside pressure is three atmospheres your plane likely becomes an airship. To act like a boat you'd have to design it to be heavy enough that it doesn't float off.
Let's assume that the pressure inside is also 3 atm. So no buoyancy in air.

Czcibor said:
Mildly futuristic setting concerning technology, sparsely populated exoplanet with 3 atm. I'm looking for a cool, but very practical plane design.

It looks as if such design had two features that made it destined to become a flying boat:
-engines put highly, so would be out of reach of water;
-front part of lowly put wings seem able to act as hydrofoil.

From what I've read modern passenger planes easily stay afloat for a while, but the problem is water slowly seeping inside. Sticking all holes seems feasible.
Yes. Watertight flying boat hulls are standard stuff.
Czcibor said:
Could such design be adjusted easily to act as flying boat?
Not quite. Start from another end.

A key point: the parts that are submerged in flowing water must be strong enough to resist hydrodynamic forces. Bottom of the hull, floats, sponsons.

Not the whole plane. Top of the fuselage and the wings can be made weaker and lighter, so that they would break off in water, but don´t get there. This makes the plane lighter and flying easier.
I assume that the lower wing of the box is designed for air. It would be inconvenient to simply deal with it getting in water.
No, just look at sponsons. Designed to work both as floats and waterfoils.
In 3 bar, the density contrast between air and water is less. Meaning that the main wing does not have to be so big relative to sponsons, and sponsons can contribute more aerodynamic forces. Consider this as your point of departure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_314_Clipper#/media/File:Boeing_314_Yankee_Clipper_1939.jpg

Having shrunk the main wind, how would you connect it to sponsons?

Last edited:
snorkack said:
A key point: the parts that are submerged in flowing water must be strong enough to resist hydrodynamic forces. Bottom of the hull, floats, sponsons.
So maybe this problem can be addressed in different way. Those are piston engine planes, so would have to have really good turbochargers. Turbochargers wouldn't have much use at sea level, so can be used to pump air to create a hovercraft...

Would hoovercraft plane be feasible? (twin hull so there is a flat place for surface)

Not the whole plane. Top of the fuselage and the wings can be made weaker and lighter, so that they would break off in water, but don´t get there. This makes the plane lighter and flying easier.
I assume that the lower wing of the box is designed for air. It would be inconvenient to simply deal with it getting in water.
The 3 times denser atmosphere allows for a take off speed that's 1/sqrt(3) of the same design on Earth.

Assuming that it would be a plane in a way comparable to a B-29 (stall speed 170 km/h), then it bare minimum take off would not be much higher than 100 km/h. So the idea: optimised for flight, and just have to somehow slide desperately on water for a while.

No, just look at sponsons. Designed to work both as floats and waterfoils.
In 3 bar, the density contrast between air and water is less. Meaning that the main wing does not have to be so big relative to sponsons, and sponsons can contribute more aerodynamic forces. Consider this as your point of departure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_314_Clipper#/media/File:Boeing_314_Yankee_Clipper_1939.jpg

Having shrunk the main wind, how would you connect it to sponsons?
OK bottom of the plane has to be hard. Got it. This connection problem not specially.

Or maybe I'm making everything too complicated? Would starting from improvised, unpaved airports much easier than from water?

1. Can closed wing aircraft take off as hydrofoil?

Yes, closed wing aircraft can take off as hydrofoil. In fact, many modern aircraft are designed with hydrofoil capabilities, allowing them to take off and land on both water and land.

2. How does a closed wing aircraft take off as hydrofoil?

To take off as a hydrofoil, a closed wing aircraft must have special features such as retractable pontoons or water skis. These features allow the aircraft to lift off from the water's surface and transition into flight mode.

3. What are the advantages of a closed wing aircraft taking off as hydrofoil?

The main advantage of a closed wing aircraft taking off as hydrofoil is its versatility. It allows the aircraft to operate in both water and land environments, making it useful for various purposes such as search and rescue, transportation, and surveillance.

4. Are there any limitations to a closed wing aircraft taking off as hydrofoil?

One limitation of a closed wing aircraft taking off as hydrofoil is its reduced speed and maneuverability compared to traditional aircraft. Additionally, the aircraft must have a body of water large enough for takeoff and landing, limiting its use in certain locations.

5. What types of closed wing aircraft are capable of taking off as hydrofoil?

Many types of closed wing aircraft can be modified to take off as hydrofoil, including seaplanes, amphibious aircraft, and flying boats. However, not all closed wing aircraft are designed for hydrofoil capabilities, so it is important to check the specifications of a particular aircraft before attempting a hydrofoil takeoff.