Can Conservation of Energy Explain Particle Movement on a Frictionless Surface?

In summary, the problem asks why the magnetic field is important when the charged objects are in the outer region. Faraday's law of induction states that the magnetic field is generated due to the currents in the surrounding electric field.
Sam_Hawkins

Homework Statement

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/greStuff/Problems_2009/Mechanics_4.pdf exercise 83

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy?!

The Attempt at a Solution

Well what I think is that if there is no friction, whenever the initial velocity is >0, the particle will just keep sliding over all the bumps, right? The potential energy will just be transformed into kinetical and vice versa ...or am I terribly missing something? The explanation is here:
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/greStuff/Solutions_2009/Mechanics_4.pdf
but it seems really twisted to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy has very little to do with this.

The motion is curvilinear, and that means the particle must experience varying acceleration as it follows the curved path. This acceleration is produced by the force of gravity and the reaction of the rippled surface, and there are certain limits to that. So the condition for staying on the surface is that the acceleration required for that must be within the imposed limits.

allright, but why does the conservation of energy not apply here?

Sam_Hawkins said:
allright, but why does the conservation of energy not apply here?

This is not what I said.

Okay, but I do think you know exactly what I meant.

I will play your game then. Why can't I use the conservation of energy?

For every initial speed u>0 it holds that at the bottom of the sinusoid the speed will be v+u where v=sqrt(4gd) which is by itself enough to overcome the gravitational force and climb up at the top of the sinusoid plus it will of course still have the initial velocity. So what is the reason why it does not perform infinite motion? If I imagine the sinusoid as a potential for a particle moving in 1D, the only chance with the particle initially being at the top to perform a finite motion is staying at the spot, is that right?

Sam_Hawkins said:
So what is the reason why it does not perform infinite motion?

The problem does not state that, either. Nor is this what the problem is about.

Because the surface is frictionless, conservation of energy holds and motion continues infinitely, you are quire correct about this.

However, as the initial speed exceeds a certain value, the particle will not just slide at the surface, it will fly without any support. The problem is about finding the max speed at which the particle can move along the surface without flying.

ah alright my bad lol :D
well that is just retarded, I thought the problem is asking whether the point will slide all the way to the end of the sinusoid (where the line ends on the picture lol :D ).

Ok now it is clear. thanks.

Hi, could you please clarify exercise 87 here: http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/greStuff/Problems_2009/E&M_4.pdf ?
I do not seem to understand why the magnetic field is of any significance whatsoever when the charged objects are in the outer region?

thanks.

See Faraday's law of induction.

In future, please do not address multiple problems in one thread. If you have further questions on exc. 87, please start a new thread.

Related to Can Conservation of Energy Explain Particle Movement on a Frictionless Surface?

What is the GRE test problem (elementary)?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test used for admission into graduate programs in the United States. The GRE test problem (elementary) refers to the elementary level questions on the GRE test, which assess basic math and English skills.

What topics are covered on the GRE test problem (elementary)?

The GRE test problem (elementary) covers basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data analysis for the math section. The English section covers reading comprehension, sentence equivalence, and text completion questions.

How is the GRE test problem (elementary) scored?

The GRE test problem (elementary) is scored on a scale of 130-170 for each section, with a total score range of 260-340. The scores are based on the number of correct answers, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers.

How can I prepare for the GRE test problem (elementary)?

You can prepare for the GRE test problem (elementary) by familiarizing yourself with the test format and content, practicing with sample questions and full-length practice tests, and reviewing basic math and English concepts. There are also test prep courses and materials available.

How important is the GRE test problem (elementary) for graduate school admissions?

The importance of the GRE test problem (elementary) varies for different graduate programs. Some programs may place more emphasis on the overall GRE score, while others may focus more on specific sections or look at other factors such as work experience and letters of recommendation. It is best to research the specific requirements and expectations of the programs you are interested in.