Can Emotional Changes Impact Wart Development?

• Medical
  • Thread starter croghan27
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker had a wart on their finger that was causing discomfort and spreading. After trying different treatments with no success, the wart mysteriously disappeared when they experienced a significant life change. They also wondered if there was a connection between psychological states and wart development. Other forum users shared similar experiences with warts disappearing without treatment. The speaker and other users also discussed the potential link between hypnosis and wart removal, and the possibility of a healthier immune response resulting from a decrease in life stress.
croghan27
Sometime in 1966 I lit a cigarette and the head of the match flipped off the stem and landed on my 'up your's finger' between the last two joints. Eventually it healed, but a wart grew in that place.

It actually became quite a nuisance as it caught on my pants every time I put my hand in my pocket - and it developed friends and brothers - by the time I finished university I had quite a few warts on my hands and they were spreading.

I used all the usual prescriptions to get rid of them - one advestisment amused me with its' initial line: "Tortured for years by two corns and a wart!" :smile: None of them worked. I had it irradiated - but that did not seem to effect the little suckers.

About that time I underwent a life change - one wife and I divorced and I married again, we had a child. As this was going on - the warts began to leave ... one by one ... finally the grandaddy wart just fell out.

I, to this day, have no clue why this happened ... did it have to do with the commercial remidies I used? Did the radiation treatment finally work? (It was about a year after I got zapped.) or did it have something to do with my life condition? I certainly was in a bad condition before the divorce and that changed radically after - resulting in the lifting of a constant depression. Is there a possibility something I did not realize was happening - like a diet change?

Are warts or attacks of wart governed by psychological states? By moods? By outlook? This all happened years ago, but I have always wondered ...

Biology news on Phys.org
I had a wart on the bottom of my foot for years, nothing worked to get rid of it over the counter or by a doctor, although I guess I probably could have got it cut out. One day I realized I hadn't felt it in a while, looked on my foot and it was gone. No answer lol.

zoobyshoe said:
I started a thread, more or less about this, a while back after reading an account of hypnosis curing warts in Phantoms In The Brain:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314551

It sounds like zoobyshoe, Huckleberry (in the link) and I all had the same experience. While I have not the termidity to contemplate cancer ... those afflicted with some kind of Herpes sound close.

croghan27 said:
It sounds like zoobyshoe, Huckleberry (in the link) and I all had the same experience. While I have not the termidity to contemplate cancer ... those afflicted with some kind of Herpes sound close.

No, I never had a wart go away by itself.

Also: they are caused by the papilloma virus, not the herpes virus. Ramachandran says, "A wart is essentially a tumor (a benign cancer) produced by the papilloma virus."

zoobyshoe said:
I started a thread, more or less about this, a while back after reading an account of hypnosis curing warts in Phantoms In The Brain:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314551

hmm, i wonder if that means the duct tape cure is a kind of placebo/hypnotic therapy, or if hypnosis does what they speculated duct tape does: activate an immune response? given the OP's life change scenario, i would lean a bit in the direction of thinking less life stress translates into a healthier immune response.

Related to Can Emotional Changes Impact Wart Development?

1. Are warts caused by stress or other psychological factors?

There is no clear consensus among scientists on the exact cause of warts. While some research suggests a potential link between psychological factors and the development of warts, there is not enough evidence to definitively conclude that stress or other psychological factors are the sole cause of warts.

2. Can warts be treated solely through psychological means?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that warts can be effectively treated through psychological means alone. While there may be some benefit to stress-reducing techniques in conjunction with other treatments, warts are primarily treated through physical methods like topical medication or freezing.

3. Is there a connection between warts and mental health disorders?

Some studies have suggested a potential link between warts and mental health disorders like anxiety and depression. However, more research is needed to fully understand the nature of this connection and whether it is a causative relationship or simply a correlation.

4. Can warts be prevented through stress management techniques?

While stress management techniques may have some benefits for overall well-being, there is no evidence to suggest that they can prevent the development of warts. Warts are typically caused by a viral infection and can be prevented through good hygiene practices and avoiding direct contact with the virus.

5. How do warts impact a person's mental health?

Warts can have a negative impact on a person's mental health, as they can cause embarrassment, self-consciousness, and feelings of isolation. However, the psychological impact of warts may vary from person to person and can be influenced by individual coping mechanisms and support systems.