Can enthalpy of sublimation predict sublimation rate for UO2+x?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
DenisH
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
TL;DR
Is there a way to get the rate of sublimation of a material in vacuum for a given temperature from its enthalpy of sublimation?
Hello,
I am running experiments where materials are heated at high temperatures during tens of hours under high-vacuum conditions. Since what I am investigating lies in the first hundreds of nanometers of the materials, I must take into account (and anticipate) surface sublimation.
Therefore I am trying to determine at which rate a sample surface is sublimating. I found that this can be calculated from saturated vapor pressure, giving results in consistent with my experimental observations. Unfortunately for the material I am working on (UO2+x), no such saturated vapor pressure has ever been published... but enthalpy of sublimation had been.
At this stage I did not found a relation between enthalpy of sublimation and sublimation rate (or saturated vapor pressure)... my question thus is: is there one?
Thank you
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
DenisH said:
Summary:: Is there a way to get the rate of sublimation of a material in vacuum for a given temperature from its enthalpy of sublimation?

my question thus is: is there one?
No.