Can every symmetric matrix be a matrix of inertia?

In summary, the speaker is questioning whether a real 3x3 symmetric matrix with positive eigenvalues can be used as a realistic matrix of inertia for engineering exams. They are also unsure if there are any connections between the off-diagonal elements and if negative entries are possible on the diagonal line. The other speaker mentions a mathematical theorem that states any real number symmetric matrix can be diagonarized via coordinate transformation with no condition on the signs of its eigenvalues.
sfn17
Hello,

I am often designing math exams for students of engineering.

What I ask is the following:

Can I choose any real 3x3 symmetric matrix with positive eigenvalues as a realistic matrix of inertia?

Possibly, there are secret connections between the off-diagonal elements (if not zero) which I should have in mind...

I am not quite sure that the off-diagonal elements can be negative. Is it possible to have negative entries even on the diagonal line?

sfn17

Engineering news on Phys.org
We have mathematical theorem that any real number symmetric matrix, with no condition on signs of its eigenvalues, can be diagonarized by coordinate transformation via orthogonal matrices.

1. Can every symmetric matrix be a matrix of inertia?

Yes, every symmetric matrix can be a matrix of inertia. A matrix of inertia is a symmetric matrix that represents the distribution of mass and moments of inertia of a rigid body. Since any symmetric matrix can be diagonalized, it can be transformed into a matrix of inertia.

2. How is a matrix of inertia calculated?

A matrix of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each element of a rigid body by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. These values are then arranged in a symmetric matrix, with the diagonal elements representing the moments of inertia about each axis and the off-diagonal elements representing the products of inertia.

3. What is the significance of a matrix of inertia?

A matrix of inertia is significant because it provides important information about the distribution of mass and moments of inertia of a rigid body. This information is crucial in understanding the body's rotational motion and stability.

4. Can a matrix of inertia be used to determine the principal axes of a rigid body?

Yes, a matrix of inertia can be used to determine the principal axes of a rigid body. The principal axes are the three orthogonal axes that pass through the center of mass of the body and are aligned with the moments of inertia. These axes are important in analyzing the rotational motion of the body.

5. Are there any real-world applications of matrices of inertia?

Yes, matrices of inertia have many real-world applications. They are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the stability and dynamics of rotating objects, such as aircraft, satellites, and mechanical systems. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to simulate the movement of 3D objects.