Can Fortran be used to create a video of changing arrays?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Lukejambo
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi, using Fortran that writes a large amount of arrays to a text/dat file.

Is there some kind of software where I can create a video of these arrays changing from beginning to end?

I've tried using VMD, but cannot get dat/text files working on it.

Any input will be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the size of the arrays?

It seems you could write them the terminal screen and blank the screen between snapshots to show them changing in place.
 
I need to change the size of the arrays each time I run the programme but they vary from 10x10 to 100x100.

Will I need to snapshot the screen manually? I can have over 100 arrays written to the file and it'll take a while to screen shot each one manually.
 
Okay thanks and I'd need to do this in the terminal, is there a way of recording each array snapshot from a dat/text file?
 
I would use a for loop to control calculation and then display and then sleep for a second or less and then repeat.

Prior to each snapshot display I'd clear the screen using an ANSI screen code printed to the screen.