Can G-Parity Explain the Dominance of Vector Current in Tau Decay?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
GWSguy
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I'm studying the [itex]\tau \rightarrow \rho \; \nu_{\tau}[/itex] decay. I'm asked to calculate the decay width, using a parameterization of the matrix element of the hadronic current. I actually find a matrix element of the form:
[tex]\left<\rho |\; \bar{u} \gamma^{\mu} \left( 1-\gamma^{5} \right ) d \; | 0\right>[/tex]
in which I have both the vector and the axial current (u and d are up and down quarks). The [itex]\rho[/itex] meson is a spin 1 vector meson, so I expect that only the term from the vector current survives. I've infact verified this statement in many articles which report:
[tex]\left<\rho |\; \bar{u} \gamma^{\mu} d \; | 0\right> = f_{\rho} m_{\rho} \epsilon ^{\mu}[/tex]
with [itex]\epsilon ^{\mu}[/itex] the polarization vector of the meson.

The problem is that I'm not able to demonstrate it. How can I formally demonstrate it? Is there any parity argument which allows me to exclude the axial term?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I know understand! The vector current is even under a G-parity transformation. I recall that G-parity is a multiplicative quantum number used for hadrons classification. It is defined as a rotation about the 2-axis, followed by charge conjugation, i.e. [tex]C \mathrm{e}^{i\pi I_{2}}[/tex] where [tex]I_{2}[/tex] is an isospin generator. The [tex]\rho[/tex] is even to. The axial current is odd under such a transformation.
For more details, I suggest Quarks and Leptons by Lev Okun.