• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Admissions Can I apply to a US PhD program with an UK Bachelor degree?

• Thread starter Gjmdp
  • Start date
In many british universities, like the University of Cambridge, the UK bachelor (1st class), with a duration of 3 years, is the minimum accepted requirement to apply for a PhD. This is, some PhD students only hold a UK bachelor, without a Master's degree. I was wondering if a british bachelor degree is also accepted for PhD programs in top US universities (of course, without a Masters degree), since the bachelor has a duration of just 3 yeears.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I typed "requirements for physics graduate admissions" into Google and looked at the first five schools that came up. All five answered your question.

I typed "requirements for physics graduate admissions" into Google and looked at the first five schools that came up. All five answered your question.
So... can you tell me the answer? 🤔 I did the same and all the results were british universities. I have searched Stanford, MIT and Harvard university, and it wasn't stated what the requirements were for international (british students), only the requirements for US students.... So, no, they don't answer my question.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
In many british universities, like the University of Cambridge, the UK bachelor (1st class), with a duration of 3 years, is the minimum accepted requirement to apply for a PhD. This is, some PhD students only hold a UK bachelor, without a Master's degree. I was wondering if a british bachelor degree is also accepted for PhD programs in top US universities (of course, without a Masters degree), since the bachelor has a duration of just 3 yeears.
Yes, those are typically accepted as being similar to the US's B.Sc degree.

Zz.

jtbell

Mentor
I suspect that a typical UK physics bachelors degree has at least as much physics content as an American one, despite the difference in length. American bachelors degrees usually include in addition, a number of required “general education” courses outside the major field.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor