1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I Become a Physicists with a B.Eng?

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a few possible career options right now. If I decided to complete a Bachelor's of Engineering, would I still be able to pursue a doctorate or master's in physics and follow a physics oriented career path? I know of people who have taken master's of engineering and completed their doctorate in physics but I don't know their undergraduate history. I'm basically very undecided right now on what career path I want to take and I'd like to know what kind of options I have. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of transfer?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2
    Oh and vice versa: does anyone know if I can become an engineer if I get a B.Sci in Physics and then decide to get a masters of engineering?

4. Dec 18, 2011 #3

eri

I've seen people go both ways; from physics to engineering and from engineering to physics. But all of them ended up having to play catch-up; the one degree only partially prepared them for the other. Most engineers don't take anywhere near enough physics courses to prepare them for physics graduate school.

5. Dec 19, 2011 #4
    Ok thank you. I guess what I'm worried about is the job security with a physics degree. I would really love to physics but I want to keep my back up options really open.

6. Dec 19, 2011 #5
    You would have to make up basically the core physics undergrad as leveling courses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook