Can I Become a Physicists with a B.Eng?

• Thread starter final_arrow3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a physics-oriented career path after completing a Bachelor's of Engineering or vice versa. The speakers mention that individuals have successfully gone from one field to the other but have had to take additional courses to catch up. There is also concern about job security with a physics degree.
final_arrow3
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a few possible career options right now. If I decided to complete a Bachelor's of Engineering, would I still be able to pursue a doctorate or master's in physics and follow a physics oriented career path? I know of people who have taken master's of engineering and completed their doctorate in physics but I don't know their undergraduate history. I'm basically very undecided right now on what career path I want to take and I'd like to know what kind of options I have. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of transfer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh and vice versa: does anyone know if I can become an engineer if I get a B.Sci in Physics and then decide to get a masters of engineering?

I've seen people go both ways; from physics to engineering and from engineering to physics. But all of them ended up having to play catch-up; the one degree only partially prepared them for the other. Most engineers don't take anywhere near enough physics courses to prepare them for physics graduate school.

Ok thank you. I guess what I'm worried about is the job security with a physics degree. I would really love to physics but I want to keep my back up options really open.

You would have to make up basically the core physics undergrad as leveling courses.

1. Can I become a physicist with a B.Eng degree?

Yes, it is possible to become a physicist with a B.Eng degree. While a B.Eng degree is typically more focused on engineering principles, it still provides a strong foundation in mathematics and physics that can be useful for pursuing a career in physics.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to those with a traditional physics degree?

It depends on the specific job or research opportunity you are pursuing. While a traditional physics degree may provide a more in-depth understanding of certain concepts, a B.Eng degree can still prepare you for many physics-related careers. Additionally, experience and skills gained through internships, research projects, and other extracurricular activities can also help level the playing field.

3. Can I still pursue a graduate degree in physics with a B.Eng?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in physics with a B.Eng degree. Many universities offer graduate programs that accept students with engineering backgrounds. You may be required to take additional courses to fulfill any missing prerequisites, but your B.Eng degree can still be a strong foundation for graduate studies in physics.

4. What job opportunities are available for B.Eng graduates in the field of physics?

B.Eng graduates can pursue a variety of career paths in the field of physics. Some common job opportunities include working as a research assistant, data analyst, or engineer in a physics-related industry. B.Eng graduates can also work in technical consulting, teaching, or science communication roles.

5. How can I make the most out of my B.Eng degree if I want to pursue a career in physics?

To make the most out of your B.Eng degree for a career in physics, you can take additional physics courses, participate in research projects, and seek out internships or job shadowing opportunities in the field of physics. Networking with professionals in the field and staying updated on current developments in the field can also be beneficial. Additionally, pursuing a graduate degree in physics can further enhance your knowledge and skills in the field.