1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I become a theoretical physicist?

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    With an undergrad degree in Applied Mathematics and Meteorology (school has no quantum field theory; didn't to study it and its extensive lab classes).

And then do a masters degree in Mathematical Physic afterwards do a PhD in Mathematical Physics?

Will I then be a theoretical physicist or a Mathematical Physicist? I know it sounds vague but is it possible to claim the title of being a "Theoretical Physicist" with two postgrad degrees in mathematical physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Mathematical physics and theroretical physics sound very similar, and what you actually do will matter more than what exactly your degree says.
    There is a lot of theory outside of particle physics, too.

4. Mar 13, 2015 #3
    I guess so and cheers for your response. So is it then viable for me to say that I'm a 'physicist' (stemming from a postgrad in mathematical physics)?

Does particle physics have a lot of integral calculus? because I like integrals.

5. Mar 14, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Who would stop you?

Depends on what exactly you do, in general there will be many integrals around, most of them won't look like integrals you see as undergrad. There is even a wikipedia page just for integrals related to QFT.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook