1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Can I do a masters in math or..?

1. Sep 27, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I know its early for me to ask as I only began my degree, I am currently studying electrical engineering and computer science..but I've realised I would like to go study mathematics.

Can I do a masters in mathematics ? would I have to take extra classes or will I be rejected?

Or do I do another bachelor (!) in mathematics after this one? another option is going for applied math masters like computational logic, math and computer science, etc..

what would be best? I really enjoy discrete mathematics and would like to be a professor/researcher if it is possible (not likely).

thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2016 #2
    It depends on your country, but in the netherlands. Do you already have your bachelor? I the netherland they would allow you to do
    your master applied science with that background.

4. Sep 27, 2016 #3
    No. I just started.
    I am doing this degree because I actually want to learn the skills here, but I also want to learn more pure mathematics which is kind of stupid i know. :frown:

I would like to go to the UK or Netherlands too.

5. Sep 27, 2016 #4
    Mathematics is not that stupid, if you don't like the studie you do it is hard to finish it. With mathematics you can also work at a bank or something like that, my sister does math and she does een internship at a bank

6. Sep 27, 2016 #5

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Theoretical computer science is very closely related to and intertwined with discrete mathematics. If you already know that this is the kind of the mathematics that you like to learn and do, then one could make a case for just sticking with your current studies of computer science and pursuing a theoretical CS track, opting for electives in (discrete) mathematics along the way. In this fashion you can focus on those parts of mathematics that (currently) interest you most.

7. Sep 27, 2016 #6
    No I meant my logic is stupid! yes I know, very valuable degree if you can add some more skills to it..and extremely difficult too, honestly I am always a confused person haha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted