Can I do well at Harvard if I wasn't a physics nerd in HS?

In summary, an incoming freshman at Harvard is considering majoring in physics but is hesitant due to other students potentially having more experience and preparation. They have taken AP Physics C in high school and received 5s on both exams, but are concerned about the rigor of college-level physics. Despite this, they are advised to focus on their own hard work and not let themselves be intimidated by the name of the school or other students' accomplishments. The student is also warned about the potential pitfalls of skipping foundational courses and instead taking more advanced courses. The advice is to focus on personal growth and development rather than comparing oneself to others.
harvardbro
Hello everyone! I am an incoming freshman at Harvard. Most of the impressive things I have done in high school revolve around English and literary competitions. I was never bad at math - 770 math SAT, 800 math SAT subject test, AP Calc BC 5 - but it always seemed I was more apt to study literature so I never engaged in physics at a high level. This past year I have become infatuated with physics after purchasing and using extensively an equatorial mounted telescope, and I've also studied lots of basic astrophysics on my own. I did take AP Physics C in high school. I understand most of you don't consider it to be a particularly rigorous course, and I would have to agree, but for what it is worth I got 5s on both and didn't find the calc introduction to Mech and E&M too challenging.

I'm hesitant to go with this concentration at Harvard because I feel like most of the would be physics majors lived and breathed this subject in high school, so they might be far more prepared than I am. Right now, I know Mechanics and E&M to the level of AP Physics C (we used the Knight 3ed book), basic thermo and optics, and basic astro and modern physics.

We will have to choose our courses for the first year in the next three weeks, and they should be tailored to your prospective major. My advisor through email told me she wouldn't object me choosing a physics path and believes I would be okay, but I'm concerned I haven't built a rigorous enough foundation for Harvard level physics. If I want to be a physics major, I'm recommended to start with their Physics 16 mechanics course and Physics 15b E&M.

Apart from physics, my main interests have always been literature and maybe psychology, but now I can't imagine doing those and not engaging in this fantastic subject. Maybe my telescope is blinding my vision? I'm not sure. What would you all advise?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll find that your ability to succeed is dependent 99.99% on what you do from here on out, and 0.01% on how well you did in high school.

Likes gmax137, Dr. Courtney, harvardbro and 4 others
Don't be intimidated by the name of the school. It sounds like you've had about the level of background preparation that's expected of a first year student - perhaps even more. Sure, there will be some students who did more in high school. You'll probably have some students in your classes that will seem as if they could teach the material. But there will also be some who've done less. There might even be some students who have yet to discover a love of physics and won't until they get into their first year classes.

You've got an opportunity to study something you love at a great school. Seize that and make the best of it.

Likes harvardbro
First off, congratulations on being admitted to Harvard!

I would concur with what both @Dishsoap and @Choppy has stated thus far. It matters far less what you had learned/accomplished in high school and more how much effort you will put in while you are at Harvard. Make the most of your time there.

Likes harvardbro
harvardbro said:
I did take AP Physics C in high school. I understand most of you don't consider it to be a particularly rigorous course, and I would have to agree, but for what it is worth I got 5s on both
That surely puts you in a better position than a large majority of high school physics students in the US. I agree with the others, don't let yourself be intimidated by the fact that you're at Harvard.

Likes harvardbro
Dishsoap said:
I think you'll find that your ability to succeed is dependent 99.99% on what you do from here on out, and 0.01% on how well you did in high school.

Thank you, I'll keep this sage advice in mind.

You're right guys, I guess I just let myself be too intimidated by the name of the school. I've got to put my ego aside and accept there will be lots of people in a better position than me, and the only solution to remedy that is the work I put in.

That first mechanics course (Physics 16) uses Morin's book, I believe, and through my research on this site it seems it's a pretty tough book. How much of a step up is it from AP Physics C? I just hope it won't be unbearable.

Dishsoap said:

Have this printed and framed and keep it with you. Read it every morning.

Likes harvardbro
As long as you are diligent and hard working you should be fine. There will definitely be some people like you described. However, while they may have an advantage in the beginning, the other talented students who may not have had that head start will eventually catch up. You shouldn't let these people intimidate you. They often appear to know a lot more than they actually do because of how they present themselves. Another thing I would warn you about is a lot of students at places like Harvard, MIT, etc. will skip foundational courses to take graduate classes like general relativity for example. This may look impressive to other students in the short term, but in the long term these students may end up with a lot of gaps in their knowledge they didn't even know about. So to summarize, physics a marathon not a race, people develop at different rates.

I was in a similar situation when I entered college at another Ivy League school. I hadn't considered being a physics major until he summer before college (I wanted to do chemistry or biochemistry). People are often surprised now when I tell them that I kind of "stumbled" into physics. I just followed my interests and that's where I ended up. Some of the most successful physics students I know also followed a similar path.

Likes Sriram Bharadwaj

1. Can I still do well at Harvard if I didn't excel in physics in high school?

Yes, absolutely. While physics is a challenging subject, it is not the only factor in determining success at Harvard. Admissions and academic performance are based on a well-rounded evaluation of your skills, achievements, and potential.

2. Will not being a physics nerd in high school put me at a disadvantage at Harvard?

No, being a "nerd" in any subject is not a requirement for success at Harvard. The university values diversity and a range of interests and strengths among its students. As long as you are passionate and dedicated in your chosen field, you will have the opportunity to excel at Harvard.

3. Are there resources available to help me catch up in physics at Harvard?

Yes, Harvard offers a wide range of resources for students who may need extra help in certain subjects. These include tutoring services, study groups, and office hours with professors. It is also common for students to take introductory or remedial courses in subjects they may have struggled with in high school.

4. Will not being a physics nerd affect my chances of getting into Harvard?

Again, no. While a strong academic record is important for admission to Harvard, it is not the only factor. The university also looks for well-rounded individuals with diverse experiences and achievements. As long as you have a strong overall application, not being a physics nerd will not significantly impact your chances of admission.

5. Can I switch to a different major if I'm not a physics nerd?

Yes, you can switch to a different major at any time during your time at Harvard. The university encourages students to explore different subjects and find their passion. It is also common for students to change their major multiple times before deciding on a final one. Your high school experience in physics will not limit your ability to switch to a different major at Harvard.