Can I Get Into Caltech? | Tips From a 13-Year-Old

• Schools
  • Thread starter Call me James
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Caltech
In summary, James is from Australia and is currently 13 years old. He gets B+/A- grades in Science and Maths, but he doesn't try because he finds most of it boring. He has an action plan for getting into a good college, but his chances of getting into one of the top universities are about 28%.
James, I don't think we are getting through to you. You think your odds are 30%, when in fact they are closer to 19,000:1. Nineteen thousand! That's a 99.995% chance that you won't get in.

You don't want to put the effort into getting the best possible marks in every class? OK - but I assure you that someone else in this pool of 19,000 did. You like to code? So do the other 19,000. You code well? Fine - but do you do so better than all 19,000?

You can't plan your future on a 1/19,000 chance. You can't even plan it on a 1/3 chance. You need to work our butt off just to have a chance at these schools and you still need to apply elsewhere - like Australia.

<h2>1. Can I get into Caltech with average grades?</h2><p>While Caltech does consider grades as part of their admissions process, they also take into account other factors such as extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. So, while having average grades may not be ideal, it is still possible to get into Caltech if you excel in other areas.</p><h2>2. Is it necessary to have a background in STEM to get into Caltech?</h2><p>While Caltech is known for its strong focus on STEM fields, they also have a well-rounded curriculum and look for students with diverse interests and talents. So, having a background in STEM is not a requirement, but it can certainly be beneficial.</p><h2>3. How important are standardized test scores for getting into Caltech?</h2><p>Caltech does require applicants to submit standardized test scores, but they do not have a minimum score requirement. They take a holistic approach to admissions, so while high test scores can strengthen your application, they are not the only determining factor.</p><h2>4. What can I do to increase my chances of getting into Caltech?</h2><p>Aside from maintaining good grades and strong test scores, you can increase your chances of getting into Caltech by participating in extracurricular activities, pursuing your interests and passions, and showcasing your unique talents through your application. Also, make sure to thoroughly research the school and demonstrate your enthusiasm for attending Caltech.</p><h2>5. Does Caltech have a preference for certain majors or areas of study?</h2><p>Caltech does not have a preference for specific majors or areas of study. They value students who are passionate and curious about their chosen field, regardless of what it may be. So, as long as you can demonstrate your interest and dedication, your chosen major or area of study should not affect your chances of getting into Caltech.</p>

1. Can I get into Caltech with average grades?

While Caltech does consider grades as part of their admissions process, they also take into account other factors such as extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. So, while having average grades may not be ideal, it is still possible to get into Caltech if you excel in other areas.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in STEM to get into Caltech?

While Caltech is known for its strong focus on STEM fields, they also have a well-rounded curriculum and look for students with diverse interests and talents. So, having a background in STEM is not a requirement, but it can certainly be beneficial.

3. How important are standardized test scores for getting into Caltech?

Caltech does require applicants to submit standardized test scores, but they do not have a minimum score requirement. They take a holistic approach to admissions, so while high test scores can strengthen your application, they are not the only determining factor.

4. What can I do to increase my chances of getting into Caltech?

Aside from maintaining good grades and strong test scores, you can increase your chances of getting into Caltech by participating in extracurricular activities, pursuing your interests and passions, and showcasing your unique talents through your application. Also, make sure to thoroughly research the school and demonstrate your enthusiasm for attending Caltech.

5. Does Caltech have a preference for certain majors or areas of study?

Caltech does not have a preference for specific majors or areas of study. They value students who are passionate and curious about their chosen field, regardless of what it may be. So, as long as you can demonstrate your interest and dedication, your chosen major or area of study should not affect your chances of getting into Caltech.