1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I have different wavenumber and frequency in E and B for a plane e

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To solve the wave equations in vacuum for ##\vec{E}## and ##\vec{B}## we made the ansatz:

\begin{array}{cc}
    \vec{E}\left(\vec{r},t\right)=\vec{E}_{0}\cos\left(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t+\delta\right)
    \vec{B}\left(\vec{r},t\right)=\vec{B}_{0}\cos\left(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t+\delta\right)
    \end{array}

Make a new ansatz of the form:

\begin{array}{cc}
    \vec{E}\left(\vec{r},t\right)=\vec{E}_{0}\cos\left(\vec{k}\cdot \vec{r}-\omega t+\delta\right)
    \vec{B}\left(\vec{r},t\right)=\vec{B}_{0}\cos\left(\vec{k}^{\prime} \cdot \vec{r}-omega^{\prime}t+\delta^{\prime}\right)
    \end{array}

And show either that

\begin{array}{cc}
    \vec{k}=\vec{k}^{\prime}
    \omega=\omega^{\prime}
    \end{array}

Or that, in general:

\begin{array}{cc}
    \vec{k}^{\prime}\left(\omega^{\prime}\right)=\vec{k}\left(\omega\right)
    \end{array}

2. Relevant equations

I used Maxwell equations and some cross/dot product identities.

3. The attempt at a solution

I put these new fields into Maxwell equations and i get this

\begin{array}{cc}
    \vec{E}\cdot\vec{k}=0 & \mbox{(1)}\\
    \vec{B}\cdot\vec{k}^{\prime}=0 & \mbox{(2)}\\
    \vec{k}\times\vec{E}=\omega^{\prime}\vec{B} & \mbox{(3)}\\
    \vec{k}^{\prime}\times\vec{B}=-\frac{\vec{k}\cdot\vec{k}}{\omega}\vec{E} & \mbox{(4)}
    \end{array}

With these equations I can show that both wavenumbers are parallel, and that the factor between them is the ratio of the frequencies, shouldn't I be able to show that the frequencies are the same and then conclude that the wavenumbers are equal too?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you try to derive (3) with respect to time? Afterwards, combine (3) and its derivative.

4. Sep 7, 2013 #3
    Thanks! I ended up solving it yesterday taking the curl in 3, but taking the time derivative works as well. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted