Can I "inspire myself" in a physics book in a podcast/video?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
jordi
Messages
197
Reaction score
14
Let us imagine I want to create a podcast or a video, and I believe there is a book which is really spot on what I want to say.

Can I "inspire myself" in the book? Of course, in no circumstances I would use pictures of the book, or paragraphs from the book. All my words would be mine, so I would not be reading the book. But I want to follow its logical argumentations, in the way the book proceeds.

- Would it be good to explicitly say that I am following a particular book in the podcast/video?
- Are there specific tips what to avoid, and what can be done?

In the end, most books are "inspired" by previous books. I guess the border is quite blurry. I would like to know recommendations to be safe in legal and copyright terms.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to make any video or podcast as how to inspire yourself? How does it make sense?
 
I don't think there is any copyright violation ifs you say, are not presenting pictures from the book or reading directly from it.

I think that you should mention sources you were inspired by, as this will be useful to anyone watching your video and wanting more (let them also be inspired by it). Also, it is only fair to the author of that book to be credit for their work.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jordi
Thank you. Yes, otherwise almost all professors would be violating copyright, right?

Sure, giving the right sources is essential.
 
jordi said:
Yes, otherwise almost all professors would be violating copyright, right?
Ideas can't be copyrighted.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jordi