Can I Pursue a Career in EE with a Bachelor's Degree in Physics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
under_par_00
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I am entering my first year of physics as an undergrad next month and I was wondering, with a BSc in physics, is it possibly to pursue EE as a graduate student, and then get employed in that field. I realize that with a physics major, I will not be very employable and will likely have to go to school for 5+ more years to get a decent job.

My university doesn't seem like they would allow me to take any EE courses unless I am in the Faculty of Engineering. It is too late to change my first year classes (and faculty for that matter), and the engineering first year is generic for all engineering students, so I don't think it is possible for me to jump in second year.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience, I would say yes. I am currently working with engineers and physicists at my current company, albeit I believe some are engineer physics majors (not sure of the difference).

At a previous company, the Physicist I had the opportunity to work with IMO was impressive to watch. Take it for what its worth, my experience, and again I believe you will be fine!