Can I pursue a graduate degree in electrical engineering with a physics bachelor's degree?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
zhongsan
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
This might seem to be a silly question. But is it possible to pursue a grudate degree in electrical engineering after I complete a bachelor's degree in physics? And if it's possible, do I need higher GPA than a person with bachelor's degree in engineering to get in? Thank you very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, you may need to have a stronger set of application credentials than an engineering major, because of the risk that you bring with you. In some places however, diversity is welcome, and an engineer with a physics background would be considered an asset.
 
Thank you very much for your answer. But what do you mean by "a stronger set of application credentials"? If I have a GPA of 3.5, what are my chances of being admitted?
 
My physics instructor said I could do that. That's one of the reasons I decided to stick to physics instead of switching to EE. If I decide I don't want to do EE, I'll go into some other area, but I couldn't really do that with straight EE. I might have to take a few extra classes, but I think I'll be fine.

PL
 
Poop-Loops said:
My physics instructor said I could do that. That's one of the reasons I decided to stick to physics instead of switching to EE. If I decide I don't want to do EE, I'll go into some other area, but I couldn't really do that with straight EE. I might have to take a few extra classes, but I think I'll be fine.

PL

I'm kind of in the same situation here. Plus here in Canada we are required to take one humanity/social science course per semester(almost) if we are in an undergrad engineering program. Those are definitely going to destroy my grade. So I suppose I'll get a better grade if I stay in physics.
 
Really? Those are the classes that BOOSTED my grades. :P Intro to Sociology, Intro to Psychology. Now I just need a humanities course. I'm thinking of challenging myself with a writing class and actually learning something, but I don't know...

How useful is persuasive writing in physics?

PL
 
I don't know about persuasive writing exactly, but being able to write VERY WELL is essential to a career as a professional physicist. Having to write proposals for funding, reports for the funding once you obtain it and the papers that come out of the research are truly essential to being a physicist. One of the classes I am now most thankful I took as an undergrad was an intensive writing course. It has helped me secure a good amount of funding for my Ph.D. research.
Hope this helps.