Can I self-study quantum for pGRE?

In summary, it is recommended to get the right resources to study from, cover Griffiths's Intro Quantum Mechanics, and take practice tests.
yeshuamo
I am pushing myself through an accelerated course of undergraduate physics (a number of reasons) and, if all goes well, it looks like I can complete the degree in two years. I have a 4.0 in physics up to this point, so I've seen no indication of my lack of work ethic/aptitude. After that, I intend on pursuing a doctorate, for which I, obviously, will first have to pass the pGRE.

Caveat:
With my plan intact, it looks like I will not have time to get through a full semester of Quantum I before taking the pGRE (Introduction to Relativity and Quantum notwithstanding.) How realistic is it for me to expect to cover the necessary material from quantum over the summer on my own and get a top score while performing research with my current PI or at an REU?

Here are the courses that I will have completed come pGRE time:
Introductory Mechanics
Introductory E&M

Honors Intro Waves, Optics, Thermodynamics
Honors Intro Relativity and Quantum Physics
Vector Calculus
Independent study in cosmology
Intro ordinary differential equations

Methods in Experimental Physics I
Classical Mechanics I
Computational Physics
Mathematical Techniques in Physics
E&M I
Directed research.

Your honest feedback is appreciated. I am content with taking a year off to work if that will significantly increase my scores and chances of being admitted by a reputable institution. But I'd also like to avoid unnecessary stalling.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeshuamo said:
How realistic is it for me to expect to cover the necessary material from quantum over the summer on my own and get a top score while performing research with my current PI or at an REU?

If your work ethic is fine, then this is pretty realistic. Just be sure to get the right resources to study from.

Likes yeshuamo
micromass said:
If your work ethic is fine, then this is pretty realistic. Just be sure to get the right resources to study from.
Thank you for the feedback. I wouldn't expect you to know this, but aside from Griffith's Introductory Quantum Mechanics, can you recommend right resources?

Have you seen, or better, taken a sample physics GRE exam? That should give you a good idea of the level of QM (and other subjects) required. A Google search for "physics gre sample test" turns up lots of links.

Likes yeshuamo
You mentioned you'll be using Griffiths, I think this is sufficient most of the quantum. Also, if you are using the "Conquering the Physics GRE" book, that will also be useful. In addition to those two, you can easily learn about whatever topics you find on the practice exams that you don't yet know.

Likes yeshuamo
Thank you all for contributing to my question. I am happy to hear a consensus that individual study of quantum physics can suffice for my purposes.

As for practice tests, I intend on following the 16-week study plan maintained by Sarah Garner at UW after I'm done with my Spring semester + covering Griffiths's Quantum Mechanics.

Obviously, I could take practice tests without going through quantum in detail, but I don't want to "waste" the precious official GRE exams (5 total have been released by ETS) for self-evaluation if I know that a big chunk of my knowledge is missing. Which is why I'm making arrangements for Griffiths! And which is why I'm also not going to be bored in the summer.

P.S. Dishsoap is a fantastic name.

1. Can I self-study quantum for pGRE if I have no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics?

Yes, you can self-study quantum for pGRE even if you have no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics. It may be challenging, but with dedication and resources such as textbooks and online lectures, you can learn the necessary concepts and equations.

2. How long does it typically take to self-study quantum for pGRE?

The amount of time it takes to self-study quantum for pGRE can vary depending on your prior knowledge, learning style, and dedication. On average, it may take a few months of consistent studying to fully grasp the material.

3. What resources are available for self-studying quantum for pGRE?

There are many resources available for self-studying quantum for pGRE, including textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and study guides. It is important to find reliable and reputable resources to ensure you are learning accurate information.

4. Is self-studying quantum for pGRE enough to do well on the exam?

Self-studying quantum for pGRE can be helpful, but it is not the only factor that determines success on the exam. It is important to also practice with sample questions and familiarize yourself with the exam format to fully prepare for the pGRE.

5. Are there any tips for effectively self-studying quantum for pGRE?

Some tips for self-studying quantum for pGRE include creating a study schedule, breaking up the material into smaller chunks, practicing with sample questions, and seeking help from a tutor or study group if needed. It is also important to take breaks and stay motivated throughout the studying process.