1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I switch from EE to other fields?

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    Let's say I get my undergrad degree in EE, but then decide to go to a different major for graduate school (i.e. PhD).

Which of the following would it be feasible (or even possible) for me to switch to:
    - Economics
    - Computer science (theoretical)
    - Computer science (applied)
    - Applied and computational mathematics
    - Chemical engineering
    - Computer engineering

This is assuming I graduate having the standard three levels of calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and probability/statistics for engineers, and perhaps some operations research, numerical analysis, game theory and calculus of variations. Also, I will have learned a ton of programming languages, and taken some thermodynamics classes (which my school forces all engineers to take).

Also, I imagine if I would read a ton about either of these fields if I had a sufficient interest in it. So my problem would not be a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of the actual degree and courseload (and research) that is typical of grad school applicants in the field. I'm curious to know how much that would hurt my chances.

Also, please don't ask me to change my undergrad EE. I am determined to finish my undergrad in EE. That said, all feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2
    Your undergrad degree doesn't really affect your graduate choices much more then what college you might get accepted in. Some might require certain courses completed before you can apply so you may have to take additional classes, but usually nothing to terrible. I've seen people get bachelors in one thing and go in a totally opposite direction with their masters/phd.

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3
    I know computer engineering and EE at my school are greatly intertwined. So much that they had to change the curriculum this year and make computer engineers take more computer science classes so CE and EE didn't end up taking almost the same classes when graduating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook