1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should i switch from BS in math to MS in Engineering ?

1. Mar 7, 2015 #1
    Hi, everyone. My Name is Constance. I am a recent graduate with a bachelor degree in pure math, I have been thinking about going to graduate school a year ago. I found out that majoring in math for bachelor is really difficult for me to find a job. However, I like math so much. I am not sure should I switch to engineering. I didn't take any many science class at my undergraduate study except general physics 1 and 2, general chemistry 1 and 2 and all required mathematics. I am worried about what I should go for? Can anyone provide me some advices?
    BTW, which engineering program is more interesting and fun for girls?
    Thank you so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2015 #2
    I am not sure where you plan to reside, but in Canada, you must hold a Professional Engineer designation in order to legally work as an engineer (for most jobs, excluding software engineering), for which you need to have a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited institution. But if you like math so much, perhaps you can look into computer science or software engineering.

I see a lot of girls in chemical or environmental engineering at my uni B/

4. Mar 7, 2015 #3
    To address the last part real quick, there is no engineering program that is "more interesting and fun for girls". It depends entirely on the individual, so if you go with that route just do what you want.

I wouldn't necessarily change though. The job prospects for math majors are not bad actually, as companies need people to do their calcs and things like that. Going into finance with a math degree at any level is very common, and people that are excellent at math are in high demand. From what you described, it seems you really want to stick with math and are only considering engineering for more job opportunities. If that is the case, I wouldn't do it. Liking what you learn and what your job entails is much more valuable than an increase in job chances that really isn't necessary to earn a living.

5. Mar 7, 2015 #4
    Thanks for your comment. I don't know that whether I can go for master in engineering or not since I study math in undergrad at United States. I mean since I didn't major in engineering, will the school allow me to change major for master program or is it better to go for master in math? I feel confused since I am an immigrant from other country, I wasn't familiar with the career switch problem when I think I might need to do so. Plus I didnt realize that I should have done some research program or independent study at my undergraduate until I almost graduated.

6. Mar 7, 2015 #5
    Thank you very much. I do want to stick with math. For me, math is beautiful and all the science related field are interesting. There are two main reason that I considering engineering since engineering and math have a lot related and engineering are basically science classes. I am quite confidence in taking science classes and I enjoy them while taking the lecture and lab.

You are Absolutely right. "liking what I learn and what my job entails is much more valuable than an increase in job chances that really isn't necessary to earn a living". I keep saying that sentence to myself for three years. However, I am still waiting to see my decision come true and worth insisting one day. I am just afraid that I proof that I make a wrong decision.

7. Mar 8, 2015 #6
    If you worry too much about making a bad choice, it will only hinder you. I would just stick with math, and if things don't work out maybe go back to school for engineering. Maybe consider doing a double major or a minor in engineering if you feel it would benefit you, but once again that is dependent on the individual.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook