Can i take all these math classes?

• Thread starter Howers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, this student thinks it is possible to take all of these classes and still have a good semester, but recommends waiting to take the more difficult classes until after they have taken two EM courses. They also recommend dropping one of the harder classes.
Howers
EMIII (EM waves in particular)
REAL ANALYSIS II
ABSTRACT ALGEBRA
TOPOLOGY
CLASSICAL MECHANICS (via Herstein)

... is this possible in a semester?

Physics news on Phys.org

It sounds doable, as long as you are prepared to study a lot.

It does sound like overkill. Are you familiar with any of these classes beforehand by prior reading? If not, do prepare to work really hard.

i wouldn't do it. (well mostly because i don't like math that much)
last semester i did 4 physics+1 math, that was a lot of fun.
i guess it depends on how much work each class in your school is, but i would rather have more time to spend on important classes like EnMII, which you won't have if you take all these classes.
but it is possible if you prepare to work hard, and don't mind studying all the time.

I'd say it depends on how your classes are taught. EM 3 for me was pretty cool material, but I wanted to murder the professor with a stapler he sucked so bad. For that class it really helps if you know your previous 2 EM classes in and out.

Classical mechanics for me (the entire class, really) was a giant pain because the teacher was really hard and the book we used was garbage. However, if you've already taken 2 EM courses, you should be comfortable with cross products and differentials and stuff like that, so the course will probably be more enjoyable. Prepare to study a lot, though.

Can't say about the rest, sorry.

I thought Herstein was algebra, not mechanics? Did he also write a physics book?

Maybe he meant Goldstein? Or put the Herstein with the wrong class? Or both?

Anyway, that class schedule looks a nip stressful, but completely doable. I'd take it!

maze said:
I thought Herstein was algebra, not mechanics? Did he also write a physics book?

I meant Goldstein =)

I don't know my algebra book. I think its Dummit or Artin.

I loved abstract algebra. If you've had a course requiring many proofs before, that might be the class that gives you a breather (math is not easy, but I think a first course in abstract algebra is not nearly so difficult as advanced E&M or topology). On the other hand if you have never seen upper division math, or written proofs, you may want to wait for the maths.

Or just drop one of the harder ones - four classes is much more manageable than five. I made the mistake of taking a similar semester, and while I succeeded and passed with A's, I think I almost died. I'm not sure if I ever want a 4.0 again, if it means that kind of stress... you don't have as much time to absorb the information as if you spread it out and really focus instead of jumping around between classes. Of course, my school didn't have an intermediate E&M class at all, so all of us were screwed in the advanced class, and we've only had maybe 5 people pass a topology class at all in the past 1-2 years...

1. Can I take all these math classes at once?

It is not recommended to take multiple math classes at the same time, as it can be overwhelming and lead to burnout. It is important to prioritize your workload and spread out your classes over multiple semesters.

2. Are there any prerequisites for these math classes?

Most math classes have prerequisites, meaning you must have completed certain courses before enrolling. Make sure to check with your academic advisor or the course catalog to see if you meet the requirements.

3. Will taking all of these math classes help me in my career?

It depends on your career goals and the specific math classes you plan on taking. Some careers, such as engineering or finance, may require a strong background in math, while others may not. It is important to research and choose classes that align with your career goals.

4. How difficult are these math classes?

The difficulty of math classes can vary depending on the subject and your level of understanding. It is important to stay on top of assignments and seek help from professors or tutors if needed. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself, but also be realistic about your abilities.

5. Is it possible to switch from a math major to another major?

Yes, it is possible to switch majors at any point during your academic career. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and course requirements. It is best to discuss your options with an academic advisor before making any major changes.