Can I Take My Cat for a Walk Tomorrow?
- Thread starter Evo
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
49 replies · 9K views
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Dr. Seuss might have come up with "strap the bat to the cat".
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,097
Yeah. Cats are not known for their willingness to compromise.Evo said:I think his love of being outdoors will eventually outweigh the fact that he's tethered.
Cat: "I want to go outside."
Evo: "Here you go, but you'll have to wear this thing."
Cat: "GAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH#$*&%!@*#$!@#(%&!@$#!@$^!@^$$!@*$!@"
Evo: "Okay. So you won't be wearing this thing after all. And, apparently, I won't be returning it for a refund either."
binzing
- 281
- 0
Just get a really big hamster ball...
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Thanks Far Star! I really like that cat jacket, a handle on the back is a brilliant idea! I would definitely add one for a quick pick up.Far Star said:I found this review about the jacket harness.
http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/gr/walkingjacket.htm
The added benefit with the jacket might be more grabbing room if need be. Neighborhood dogs off leash and such (not even trying to picture that scenario). I didn't notice if it had a pickup handle on the top or not. That might be handy if it's just used for walking and not crawling under things.
After a few aged dogs with hip and mobility problems one really starts to appreciate assorted hardware.
Far Star
- 72
- 0
Evo said:Thanks Far Star! I really like that cat jacket, a handle on the back is a brilliant idea! I would definitely add one for a quick pick up.
You're welcome.
If you order one ask them about adding a handle as far as buckle strength and stitching. The harness might be strong enough for walks but iffy on lifting. No need for further "oops" factors. :<)
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
Moonbear said:It's such a myth that it's unnatural for cats to be kept indoors. They're DOMESTIC animals, SELECTIVELY BRED by HUMANS to live with humans. They AREN'T wild cats, they're HOUSE pets. Provide enough stimulation for them indoors by being a good parent to them and they will be quite happy inside without destroying the real WILDLIFE that DOES belong outdoors and has no chance against such an unnatural predatation pressure as an overpopulation of domestic cats.
Well I disagree frankly any more than it's natural for a dog to be in doors. Everyone in this country let's their cat come and go, as far as I know that's the same everywhere else in the world. That you don't is fine but I genuinely don't see what the fuss is.
Last edited:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I decided to get a harness until I get around to ordering the cat jacket, but I thought I could pick one up at Walmart since I was going there anyway.
No harness.
On a related note, I want a firepit. I saw some small ones last night that looked great. I wonder if I am allowed a firepit, I see people with barbecues.
No harness.
On a related note, I want a firepit. I saw some small ones last night that looked great. I wonder if I am allowed a firepit, I see people with barbecues.
Science Advisor
- 365
- 88
Cat ... leash ... Pinky ... Internet fame? Mmmm, it's already been done.
You need something novel to spice it up. Cat tied to Fruitbat tied to leash tied to woman's hand (who happens to be standing next to ravine) has some interesting possibilities.
You might want to use a stunt double, though.
You will post the video here first, though, right?
Ooh, wait! A firepit? This could get interesting!
You need something novel to spice it up. Cat tied to Fruitbat tied to leash tied to woman's hand (who happens to be standing next to ravine) has some interesting possibilities.
You might want to use a stunt double, though.
You will post the video here first, though, right?
Ooh, wait! A firepit? This could get interesting!
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Ok here are the firepits, I like the Alhambra. Or maybe the mosaic.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=533535
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=533535
Attachments
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Yes, I'm leaning toward that one too.lisab said:oooooo, nice :!) ! They're both nice...I like the mosaic best.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Both my younger sisters in the area have real stone fire-pits at their houses. They are wide shallow holes in their back lawns, lined with rocks, and ringed by a seating area paved with flat stones. It's a nice way to take the chill off an evening outside, with maybe some marshmallows, hot dogs, etc.
tribdog
- 779
- 17
Do those things run on MAPP gas?
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Nope.tribdog said:Do those things run on MAPP gas?
tribdog
- 779
- 17
I've got an adapter. c'mon live a little
binzing
- 281
- 0
turbo-1 said:I wish people would stop doing that. I live 'way out in the country and there are still enough people around here with "outdoor" cats that I rarely see any ground-nesting birds. Cats are extremely destructive on wildlife. When entire classes of birds are wiped out by cats just for the fun of it, our ecology suffers.
Thats a slight overstatement, at least where we are. We have 6 cats and all of them are outdoor cats (albeit one has only 3 legs) and the bird life is still phenomenal. We had a covey (sp?) of nearly 30 quail come to right outside our window of the living room. Really the birds here get smart and avoid cats. Maybe you just have stupid birds where you are...
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
This is a very rural area, but people have been moving out here, and many of them have "outdoor" cats. Since I am a bird-watcher, I notice when whole species go missing in what would otherwise be ideal habitat. Cats do not belong in the wild. The food and shelter that humans supply them give them a huge advantage over the wildlife that they prey on, who have to fend for themselves, and in doing so, expose themselves to predation. There is a difference between wild predators and cats. Wild predators have to come to some kind of balance with their prey, so that they don't eliminate their food supply. Domestic cats are under no such pressure, and will kill off entire broods of grouse, etc, just for the sake of killing them.binzing said:Thats a slight overstatement, at least where we are. We have 6 cats and all of them are outdoor cats (albeit one has only 3 legs) and the bird life is still phenomenal. We had a covey (sp?) of nearly 30 quail come to right outside our window of the living room. Really the birds here get smart and avoid cats. Maybe you just have stupid birds where you are...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,745
- 0
Evo said:Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be above freezing and my cat really misses being outdoors and I'm going stir crazy because the weather has been so bad for so long, it's been too cold to do anything outside for months.
I'm going to stop off at the pet megamart after work and get a cat harness for Dr Foofer. He's pretty laid back, so I can probably get a harness on him, I just don't know if he'll move after it's on. I saw a cool cat jacket harness online that looks much more comfortable, but I don't know if he'd agree to wearing a jacket.
How many people walk their cats? My cat is 11 years old and has never been on a leash.
My cat has evidently found a better home or has been killed ; it's been a year since he's been home
just canceled his membership to Banfield
Far Star
- 72
- 0
Good ideas for a patio or yard. The pre-built are fairly expensive but they do have kits and plans on some of the sites:
http://catnet.stanford.edu/articles/enclosures.html
My cats used to be more or less free roaming back in the day. The neighbors knew what dogs or cats belonged where so they always looked out for them. Not anymore. If you've ever been stuck in the position of watching 15 or 20 cars on a semi-residential street try to nudge a puppy out of traffic with their cars it's really heartbreaking.
I'm sorry about your cat GCT. No matter what the reason it's difficult to lose a companion.
http://catnet.stanford.edu/articles/enclosures.html
My cats used to be more or less free roaming back in the day. The neighbors knew what dogs or cats belonged where so they always looked out for them. Not anymore. If you've ever been stuck in the position of watching 15 or 20 cars on a semi-residential street try to nudge a puppy out of traffic with their cars it's really heartbreaking.
I'm sorry about your cat GCT. No matter what the reason it's difficult to lose a companion.
Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
- Saladsamurai
- · Replies 16 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 16
- Houston Suns
- · Replies 5 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 5