Can I use BTU for work in conservation of energy with imperial units?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mattwkeller
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Btu Units
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mattwkeller
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Im given a problem where I am supposed to utilize the concept of conservation of energy to find an object initial velocity. There is a force that works on an object. They give me the amount of work done in BTU and the other units are in lb, ft/sec, ft/sec^2...Then I confused myself and didnt know if BTU and energy equations with these units work together? Usually I would just convert things to metric but my Thermo Prof wants us to keep the units in what they are given as..So is work supposed to be in BTU or Joules or Calories?

Homework Equations



none

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
mattwkeller said:
Usually I would just convert things to metric but my Thermo Prof wants us to keep the units in what they are given as..So is work supposed to be in BTU or Joules or Calories?
If you are working in feet and pounds, express BTU in foot pounds. And mass in slugs.