Can K⊕K ≅ N⊕N Imply K ≅ N in Finite Abelian Groups?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Isomorphism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Bachelier
Messages
375
Reaction score
0
All groups are finite abelian

if K⊕K ≅ N⊕N, prove that K≅N

I'm thinking of constructing bijection, but I don't know if my argument makes sense!

since K⊕K ≅ N⊕N, there exists a bij between the two

assume ψ: K⊕K ----> N⊕N
(k,k') |---> (n,n') where n = f(k) for some fct f and n' = g(k')

since ψ is a bij it is invertible, hence f is invertible and then it is a bijection

or:

since ψ is a homomorphism, then so is f b/c ψ(kk',k"k'")=(nn',n"n"')=(f(k),f(k'),g(k'')g(k'''))=(f(kk'),g(k"k'''))

and f is onto inherited from ψ. ker ψ = ψ(e,e)=(e,e) in (N⊕N) = ker(f,g)

I don't like it but it's the only thing I can think of.

any ideas. thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
do you know the decomposition theorem for finite abelian groups?
 
in other words, the fundamental thm of finite abelian groups,

every fin. ab. grp G is the direct sum of cyclic groups, each of prime power order.

let G = K⊕K ≅ N⊕N = G'

by thm K and N are both cyclic. hence K= <k> and N = <n> with |<k>| = |<n>|

hence K ≅ N.